What hops to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez82

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm planning a brew at the weekend Northern brown ale by Greg Hughes. I have all the grain I need but I don't have the hops to hand but have plenty of others. any ideas what I can use in place?

Required hops.
Admiral
Challenger

Hops I have.
Amarillo
Bramling cross
Cascade
East Kent goldings
Endeavour
Jarrylo
Mandarina bavaria
Pacific gem
Summit
Wakatu
Bullion
Target
Fuggles
Chinook
Citra

I'm looking for a old Newcastle brown ale taste any ideas what I can use in place

You have plenty that can be used in your armoury for English style ales but East Kent Goldings are used in some of the clone recipes I have seen

Looking at the flavour profiles I've seen online I was thinking Bullion and Chinook but I haven't use most of these as there new I'm not to sure

If you are wanting a Newkie brown style then deffo use East Kent Goldings. Chinook is a American hop and would not be used in English Brown ale unless you want the American twist on it. The other options if you want a classic English Brown is Target, Fuggles and Bramling Cross. Good luck with what you choose

I think I might go with target at the start of the boil as it has the higher aa to match the Admiral and then the east Kent at the end

Latest posts

Back