What is the best way to achieve flavoured turbo cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've done a couple of batches of TC, which came out quite well (if a little dry and crazy-making) but I want to brew a few bottles of different flavoured TC for a party in about 6 weeks.

I don't really drink the stuff, but I guess it has to be kind of sweet-ish and flavourful.

What have people tried in the way of flavouring methods and what seems to work the best? I guess the main things are:

What's best - cordial, syrup (monin etc), or squash concentrate?
When to add it - after fermentation has died down, when priming, or leave it out altogether and add it on serving?

Also, will I be able to get some residual sweetness out of using any of the above, or is it likely the yeast will chom down all the sugars available? I'll be using WLP775 liquid yeast for the best flavour possible.

I'll be using a base recipe of Apple juice, strong tea and maybe splenda to back sweeten, although I'd like to do without it if possible as you can taste it.

For choices sake I would say add when serving that way you can have it plain or with X syrup but then again adding it earlier might give better flavor.
Just a suggestion.

Ive never made this but id suggest that whatever flavouring you add make sure its either diet or sugar free as the yeasties will strip the sugar from it and make the brew jump out of the bottle.

metalmickey said:
Ive never made this but id suggest that whatever flavouring you add make sure its either diet or sugar free as the yeasties will strip the sugar from it and make the brew jump out of the bottle.

^This. Just use sugar free cordial or juice.

Tesco have frozen blueberries 3 for £5, I wizz these up in food processor and add to the apple juice along with a jar of Tesco Honey and cup stewed tea.
It come out a little cloudy, I think I need to add pectose n that will help clear, but not sure.

Another batch I made was with the honey and about 5 chopped up cooking apples, that was better than just apple juice and yeast.

I may try mixed fruit for the next batch.

@chef2323 Do you sterilise the food processor or anything or do you just take a chance?

blueberries and honey in there sounds like a corking plan, You can get frozen fruit from most farm shops (I Hate T****) and you will likely get a better price and choice. the artificial sweetener is a thing here too though. I read an article in new scientist a while ago and it has put me off any of them. But the sugar and yeasters battle will occur, i struggle to get anything to remain sweet. It seems especially likely when I am having to prime any bottles.

What can you do?

I'm not too worried about giving a choice, as I will likely be providing a few bottles of different brew, so I will ferment separately if needs be. Seems like the way to go would be to add sugar-free squash or cordial at the time of bottling.

Are there any preservatives I need to watch out for that could inhibit natural carbonation from priming in the bottle?

That said, I could always prime with concentrated fruit syrup instead of sugar. The yeast I will use, whitelabs cider yeast should only attenuate to 80%, which will hopefully leave a decent level of sweetness to start with, without having to resort to splenda. :hmm:

I used a punnet of strawberries with 4 litres of apple juice. Strawberries in blender, pass through sieve and fire in demijon with some pectolase. Think I added 200 grams dextrose as well. Ended up over 7%. Strawberry flavour was a nice hint rather than a full on strawberry flavour. I'm under orders to make more, so it must have been good!
Quite liking the blueberry idea.
One other thing to try (I dont know how it would turn out and would definately be a love or hate) would be to add some woodruff (or make woodruff syrup to add) It would certainly be distinctive (and possibly an interesting shade of green!)

Priming with fruit syrup sounds like a great idea, get everything in one hit and not having to brew loads of different stuff... where would you get the syrup from? Really liking that thinking...

Would it work with juice left over from tinned fruits and things, do you think? We are always left with the juice from the pineapple after making homemade pizza and it would be a lovely taste to go in with ginger beer or similar surely?

I knew this forum lark was a good idea :)

Well, I'd originally thought of using "Monin" syrups - the ones they use in cocktails but I might be even more adventurous and make them myself from fruit, sugar and water. Can't be that hard...can it?

EDIT: Just looking at the range of flavours Monin make, I might just go with Monin. Passion Fruit and Elderflower cider? i think I'd even drink that! :lol:

I can get to booker, I guess they may do the same, I will have to have a look.

I am inclined to make my own though the more I think about it... Proper hippy type me, get it for free and I am a happy man :)

That said, easy is always nice. thanks for letting me know

Latest posts

Back