Best yeast for turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have decided to have a go TC the first one i had no cider yeast so i used a pack of us-05 and Atlantic, after 12 days it stopped at 1012 it is now cold crashing and tastes pretty good, i ordered some cider yeast from cml and put 2 packs in 20L of tesco finest apple juice it went off pretty quick with a big krausen, i looked this morning day 3 the krausen as completly gone but you can visibly see it is still going strong is this normal. Next on the agender is flavourings any help on when and what to add is appreciated, cheers acheers.

I'm not a cider maker but my understanding is that English ale yeasts are generally your best bet for a "non-cider" yeast, as opposed to random wine yeasts, but something like the Mangrove Jack cider yeast is probably the best bet out of the ones that are readily available in dry form.

Thing to watch for with any fruit additions is the sugar content.

I've not done many but always used CML cider yeast. Never flavoured it as I like normal but dry cider. Are you planning to bulk flavour or just add to the glass as you crack a bottle? The popular choice seems to be the Lowicz syrup type products but I'm not sure if on bottling you have to account for any sugar content regarding your carbonation requirements.

I've not done many but always used CML cider yeast. Never flavoured it as I like normal but dry cider. Are you planning to bulk flavour or just add to the glass as you crack a bottle? The popular choice seems to be the Lowicz syrup type products but I'm not sure if on bottling you have to account for any sugar content regarding your carbonation requirements.
Just add to the glass mainly for folks who like it, i to like just straight cider, cheers Clint athumb..

I have been doing a few of these in 5ltr batches. I have been using ASDA's cheap 100% apple juice and a bottle of Lowicz raspberry syrup & the Mangrove Jacks Cider yeast. I put a warning on the bottles not to operate heavy machinery during or after consumption...lord they are good & quick to do

I also use the CML cider yeast with great effect. Reminds me, must order some more as I've bought juice from Lidl already 🙂

In terms of flavouring if I want it I just add some syrup to the glass when serving. I have made a strawberry and lime cider before now though which had a bottle of strawberry Lowicz and the juice of several limes dumped in it before starting fermentation (the recipe was from here somewhere). I don't mind my cider dry so didn't add anything to sweeten after.

Best one I've ever made is was a winter themed cider, boiled up some of the juice with cloves and cinnamon (may have been other spices as well) and chucked it all in at the start, had a bottle of caramel sugar syrup lying around as well so that also got dumped in. When serving I added a dash of Monin Winter Spice syrup. I was really nice and also rocket fuel, certainly knew about it after a couple 😁

Latest posts

Back