What Next and When?!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozzidrozzi

Reaction score
Hi Folks and firstly, thank you for accepting me as a Forum member. Like most folk who join I am new to Brewing and have embarked on a bit of Cider making.

I have made a 25ltr barrel with pure Bramley Apples, 1 x sachet of Cider Yeast and 1250g of sugar, its been fermenting at around 21 degrees for about 10 days and is gently fizzing on top (i take it that’s the normal fermentation) its not a rapid release of bubbles via the airlock but steady.

I have also crushed and pressed a heap of Crab apples and a variety i can't identify (reddish stipes on yellow with a pink flesh) and combined them to make three 5 lrt containers with again Cider yeast and 250g of sugar these have only just been done.

My question is what do i do next and when? I am assuming that i do nothing until fermentation has finished? Do i then stir/shake them, do I bottle with added sugar, do i add Campden tablets?

Apologies for all the questions but us annoying Newbies have to start somewhere!

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1787.jpeg
    IMG_1787.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 50
Hi!
For beer, I allow two weeks for fermentation - check the SG to determine whether fermentation is fully complete.
If you want clear cider, you need to allow time for the sediment to settle. When brewing beer I chill the FV to promote settling.
If you want a sparkling cider, rack off the sediment and bottle with added sugar, then put the bottles in a warm place for two weeks.
Cider brewers will undoubtedly provide a more helpful reply.

Back