What to make with Tokay wine yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thisledome

Thisledome
Reaction score
Hi guys, an old buddy of mine says i should use Tokay yeast he highly recommends it. My question to you is have any of you ever used it before if so what wine did you make and what was your results like? I'm open to any suggestions, happy new year.

A quick google suggests people use it for mead. Copied from another board (props to original poster):-

My hands-down favorite yeast for mead however is Tokaji (aka Tokay) yeast. This is the yeast naturally used to make the legendary Hungarian Tokaji wine, the most famous varieties of which are semi sweet to sweet (the wine is produced with a proportion of grapes that achieve "noble rot", essentially becoming rather intense raisins for lack of a better description). It is a phenomenal desert wine.

The result of using Tokaji yeast for mead is especially enhanced by a long ferment, and, for mead with a very high honey-to-water ratio, an extended bulk aging period (I have bulk aged my stronger Tokaji meads for as long as 10 years before bottling them; if made with a lower honey ratio a less sweet mead can be good after a few months). The result is a very unique, rich character which in some ways is a bit sherry-like, though without the hint of oxidation found in sherries.

To get an idea what to expect, do pick up a bottle of Hungarian Tokaji wine (look for the "4 puttonyes" or "5 puttonyes" variety). The stuff isn't cheap, but worth a taste and will give an indication of the nice character that the yeast can add to a mead

Latest posts

Back