Im back... 11 Year hiatus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl0ckage

Regular.
Reaction score
Returning to the hobby of home brewing after an 11-year hiatus is an experience that almost feels like reuniting with an old friend. If the friend was a angry wasp.

For me, dusting off my brewing kettles and looking to dive back in poses some questions i might of missed within the hobby.

How exactly have brewing methods evolved in the last decade?
What new styles of beer are becoming all the rage for homebrewing?

Any others who have just returned to brewing after taking a several-year hiatus?
What change or changes would you say are the most surprising or exciting?
What would you advise people to look for when they begin re-entering the scene? or is there really nothing new that you would recommend for every returning brewer to experiment with?

Came straight back on the pony with a guinness clone (fermenting) and a cherry saison (currently in mash 02/03/24)

Had a few fails on the water testing of my kettle. The old tap open.

The old burning the house down and setting carbon monoxide detectors off due to a slight leak where i opened my sight glass and lost the washer in the mash.

Welcome back. Im just returning after 12 years out.. I didnt retain any kit, and It feels like bveing dropped on a new planet in places .. a few new terms and techniques to get my head round.

Like the wasp analogy :D . There are a few of us returners.

As you have discovered already you can still do what you did before but there is a lot of new shiny kit that tempts. I think the biggest 'recent' thing in terms of the beer making process is brewing under pressure which is suitable for some styles (like lager) and means you can ferment warm and fast and self-carbonate. Hazy IPAs are popular (have they passed the peak ?).

I'm still working through experimenting with old things (as in styles that have been around for a long time), making beers that I've never made before which I'm really enjoying.

(My dad was born in Huddersfield)

Welcome back.

I like the product, some like the tinkering, or maths, or act of brewing. Some bottle, some keg some just lay under the fermenter tap with their head open😜

What....

Don't buy anything shiney for EleventyBillionQuid till you know who you are this time and if you need it.

Chances are you know what beer you like. So that's your first recipe.

Welcome back, i came back after 30 years with the idea of keep it simple, yeah right i now have a larder fridge 2 gas bottles 5 corny kegs and a host of other stuff but the beer is good, enjoy

Welcome back on the horse! All in one systems and pressure fermentation are big now - but sounds like you already have all the gear for making beer, so no need to invest unless you're looking for new kit!

Returning to the hobby of home brewing after an 11-year hiatus is an experience that almost feels like reuniting with an old friend. If the friend was a angry wasp.

For me, dusting off my brewing kettles and looking to dive back in poses some questions i might of missed within the hobby.

How exactly have brewing methods evolved in the last decade?
What new styles of beer are becoming all the rage for homebrewing?

Any others who have just returned to brewing after taking a several-year hiatus?
What change or changes would you say are the most surprising or exciting?
What would you advise people to look for when they begin re-entering the scene? or is there really nothing new that you would recommend for every returning brewer to experiment with?

Came straight back on the pony with a guinness clone (fermenting) and a cherry saison (currently in mash 02/03/24)

Had a few fails on the water testing of my kettle. The old tap open.

The old burning the house down and setting carbon monoxide detectors off due to a slight leak where i opened my sight glass and lost the washer in the mash.
there's more dried yeast types and hops available than when I started 10 years ago.

Back