Wheat vs wheat malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am investigating replacing wheat malt with raw wheat in my house beer recipe.

I am not worried about the malted component. Just the flavour.

Current recipe is 4000 grams pale malt and 500g Malted wheat.

Any ideas or thoughts welcome...

I have immediate access to plain, raw wheat. Malted is a special purchase, that is becoming more difficult to get.

.. And I suspect there is more flavour in raw wheat.

I am investigating replacing wheat malt with raw wheat in my house beer recipe.

I am not worried about the malted component. Just the flavour.

Current recipe is 4000 grams pale malt and 500g Malted wheat.

Any ideas or thoughts welcome...
If you mean Dried Wheat extract , it's not 100% Wheat but does make a darn fine Weiss/Witbier

Thanks. But there seems to be some confusion here.

I buy wheat. Fresh from the field, from my farming neighbours. Untouched, unmalted, unprocessed & undersevenquid a sack.

Do you cereal mash it?

At 12% I didn't think it was too big a deal.. Enzymes wise.

However.. Just found this.

Here are some common gelainization temperature ranges:

• Unmalted Barley: 140-150 F (60-65C)
  • Wheat: 136-147 F (58-64 C)
  • Rye: 135-158 F (57-70 C)
  • Oats: 127-138 F (53-59 C)
  • Corn (Maize): 143-165 F (62-74 C)
  • Rice: 154-172 F (68-78 C)
Which means my protein rest is a bit cool.

Something to try...
Thanks

Yeah at 12% it’s not going to make a huge difference, but you might want to give it a go as it does help liberate extra starches and make them ready for conversion in the mash.

Basically take your adjunct and 10% base malt, add cold water and heat up to hit 70C, hold for 5 minutes then heat to boiling for 10-30 minutes. Then add to your mash.

As you have discovered, raw wheat and barley have a more distinct grainy flavour. Goes well in some continental beer types.

I like the following chart. I do away with adding malt for a cereal mash, and just boil the grain on it's own (usually rice).

Temperature ranges for the gelatinization of various starches [Briggs, 2004]. Starches marked with (*) also benefit from boiling before being used in the mash.

Gelatinization_temperatures.gif

Been having a read. There isn't a huge amount of detail on this subject. Gordon, John and Randy have let me down 😂

Concensus seems to suggest 56c/30m. It also will do no harm. I have always had a protein rest, because I need to burn time overnight.

Thank you👍🏻👍🏻I will keep you posted.

Will keep checking in, if it's animal feed then it won't be screened for ergot. Or worse, rejected because of. Any signs of confusion? 😂

Latest posts

Back