When best to bottle cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam apple

Reaction score
Hi all,

Second year homebrewing cider. I have 45ltr of cider and another 20ltr of perry currently in my basement. It was all pressed and put in plastic brew buckets in batches during the first 2 weeks of November. When the airlocks stopped bubbling and it cleared up I transferred it all into 10 and 5 ltr glass carboys filled just below the stoppers with clean airlocks on. That was around 2nd week in December, it's sat in the basement since which is dark and a constant 18 degrees temp.

I have a few days free this week and am then travelling for work and won't be back until around April. I had planned to bottle it when I'm back and prime half the bottles for carbonation. Just wanted to check this will be alright or should I get it into bottles now?

if thr carboys are sterile and well sealed it should be fine. people on here have left them for months without issue. I am experimenting this year - bottling some batches straignt from primary after weeks, some after months, and some bulk aging in secondary for months. I want to see if these variables make any difference to the taste. See my brewdays thread for details.

Yes everything was sterilized and sealed in with rubber bungs and airlocks so guess I'll leave as is until April when I'm back.

Thanks for the reply, I couldn't see your brewdays thread but I'm also interested by this. Last year I bottled some straight from primary but think I messed it up as wasn't clear enough and the bottles ended up with lots of sediment and a strong yeasty taste. The stuff I put in secondary for a couple of weeks was far better and improved in the bottle too. Maybe next year I'll also experiment.

Back