When to bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambanks

Reaction score
Fermentation as stop after 4days and gravity is down to 1013, should i leave it in fv for the rest of the 7days. or can i bottle now?

What are you brewing?

Leave it for the 7 days (minimum), you need to have an unchanged hydrometer reading for 2-3 days.

Give it a 3-4 days more, this will allow the yeasties to do a bit of cleaning up, you will get a nicer beer for it and also give them a chance to settle out a bit :thumb:
Just out of intrest what temp did you ferment at and what yeast

Moley said:
What are you brewing?
Brewing a big Kenny. had the same hydo reading yesterday, but will give it at least 7days so the yeast has time to tidy up.

Bru4u said:
Just out of intrest what temp did you ferment at and what yeast
I fermented with s-04, Temp was a steady 22c. wish i could ferment couple degrees lower but i live in a very warm flat. Might invest in some cooler equipment

Edit: should i rack into secondary or leave in primary for the rest of the ferment time

S-04 really gets to work quick!! I still leave it for up to ten days - normally in the same FV unless i`m gonna dry hop it in which case i`ll transfer it on day 8 or so maybe - then dry hop for four to five days :thumb: Everyone`s a bit different so do what works for you ;)

What's the rush?

In my view, you'd be better leaving your brew for at least a couple of weeks in primary.
The extra time will allow the yeast to do nice things to your beer, and improve it. Even though primary fermentation is over, yeast continues to work for some time reducing fermentation by-products.

My last APA was in primary for 10 days at 18ºC, I then dropped it to 2ºC and left it for another 18 days, and bottled straight from primary. It's turned out a brilliantly clear beer, very clean and tasty.

Back