Where do you store your bottles? Empty and full

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily for me in the garage - although most beer goes in cornies these days so I gave a load away

Stanleythecat said:
'Does your loft conversion not have eaves? That'd be ideal!'

Unless the loft has been converted as living space and insulated properly I wouldn't store beer in the loft, very hot in summer :!:

alphacento said:
I store both the empty and full ones in the cellar. The advantages of a cellar is that it keep pretty much the same temperature throughout the year.
:thumb:
Full: Down the cellar, beers upright in milk crates, wines on their sides in a rack.

Empty: In the utility or up the shed, stacked in wine bottle cardboard cases, which the supermarkets obligingly line up behind the checkouts for anyone who wants to use them.

Stanleythecat said:
Don't mention the cat! :nono: I'm pretty sure he's higher up the food chain in our house!
:lol: As they say, dogs have masters, cats have staff.

The most space efficient way of storing bottles is 'binning'. The bottles are laid side by side between 2 ends, withe a strip of wood supporting the necks facing forward. Another slightly higher strip of wood is laid in front of the other to support the ends of a row of bottles laid on top of the bottom row, facing the other way, so that the necks interlock. This requires bottles of the same shape and size to work properly. Provided there are end supports, no further strips are required and you can safely go up to a height of 5 feet. This method is used in commercial wineries, each 'bin' consisting of batches of identical bottles of wine of the same vintage, so if you have a mixture from which you want to select, then a wine rack is best, but it's ideal for empties. A cupboard with a depth of at least 17 inches is required. Apparantly there was a wartime Anderson shelter in my neighbour's garden, but I guess it's been filled in!
I have a 10 gallon barrel full of white wine, which really should be bottled at the end of this month. 60 bottles are required but I only have 40 of the same shape and size at the moment, so I can either go totting around the neighbours' recycling boxes the day before collection, or resort to a new polypin

Stanleythecat said:
alphacento said:
Anyone built their own cellar... outside... above ground!? Concrete base breeze blocks + celotex maybe? probably still too much temperature change to work.

Nope but I insulated my shed with 50mm expanded polystyrene, floor walls and ceiling, also skinned inner walls with chip board, and when really cold I plug with windows with styrene. Needs a little boost from an oil filled rad in really cold weather but its a big step up from my old garage.

And under the floor boards is a good idea. My dad has done this for years and has set up a lifting board with a pull ring in it. You can get quite a few bottles down there, and every now and again an escapee is found right at the back. Can't do this myself at the mo as carpet is fixed down.

I was thinking of digging my own cellar. Sneaking the soil past my wife, a la Great Escape.

In the mean time I have a big plastic storage box in the garden with a padlock on it. In my experience beer doesn't freeze easily in the British climate.

I store most of mine in my reception room, along with beer fridge and some outside in an enclosed patio. Bottles i got everywhere from unfinished living room to up on my flat roof, i have a few hundred of them to be going on with as i save what we drink. There is a small deposit on them but i have never taken any back.
Another outside patio which is open on two sides i store all my unused wine bottles ready for washing and sterilising and all my empty barrels and containers are stored in my workshop/attic. :rofl:

I keep mine in DJs on top of the wardrobes, not quite sure what the weight limit is so limit myself to 5 per wardrobe. advantage is OH dosent see all of them at once, disadvantage is that when Im in trouble he goes round counting, so have resorted to back of eardrobe behind my shoe collection :D Full bottles in wine rack in hall cupboard (under Jams and pickles) holds about 40.

My problem is with cider, which I like to keep upright so that the sedement settles, crates will not work well as have bottles ranging from .5l to 2l at the moment on Ikea racking but I will have to drink some before I do another brew. Its a tough job.......

ive got a old single wardrobe in the shed ive only got about 60/65 bottles as i make about 30 pints each time i get 15 bottles in each create :) il need a new place soon as am geting more interested in homebrewing

I've been saving up similar wine bottles for a long time to make the aforementioned 'bin' and have now cleared enough space in the shed cupboard, given my my self-imposed time limit of the end of May for bottling. I'm pleased to say that that the bottles have to be of the same shape but different heights are acceptable, if the cupboard have enough depth.

Back