Where you store bottles of beer? 15-16°C is OK or too worm?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icemetall

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

My wife get me for my birthday Young’s Brew Buddy Beer Starter Kit (Lager). So I'm new to the business. Planning a bottling on Saturday.
Temperature in cupboard I keep fermentation bucket is stable in 20°C, I will also keep the bottles in there for fist two days.

I was placing thermometer in various places around my house and so far I only found cupboard under the stairs is the coldest place. Around 15-16°C.

I wonder if 15-16°C is not to worm?

I also have huge space at the attic but temperature over there depend on temperature outside so it will go up and down.

Where you store your bottles? Any Ideas?

Thanks
Peter

They need to be somewhere warm for about a week and then somewhere cold for the co2 produced to be taken up by the beer and actually carbonate it. So really somewhere colder for about a month would be better.

Having said that if that is all you have got then you will have to make do. :thumb:

Thank you for reply.

How you will name temperature 15-16°C. Cold or Worm?

Peter

i keep mine in warm at about 18-20 for a week to ten days then drop it to 13, all depends on your preference, i conditioned at 15 before and was fine! if your doing a lager tho you may want it a bit cooler

The reason for conditioning at a lower temp after it has carbonated is to get the co2 into solution ie the beer. If it is too warm it wont go into solution and you will have a flat pint, but it is also time dependent as well.

Just made something of a temperature discovery!!
Despite my thermometer reading a constant 18-22c throughout my brewings, the actual liquid temperature is only 14c.
Is this too low or will it just take a little longer?

Its too low and will take longer :thumb: I'd wrap it up in a duvet. I think most of my brews over the past few months have been fermenting at those temps though and have been ok. (have now got the heating in the house fixed)

Just check the progress after a few days with your hydrometer. If the SG is going down then you're doing ok. If there is anything you can do to bring the temp up your yeast will thank you for it (water bath + aquarium heater perhaps?)

LeedsBrewer said:
Its too low and will take longer :thumb: I'd wrap it up in a duvet. I think most of my brews over the past few months have been fermenting at those temps though and have been ok. (have now got the heating in the house fixed)

Just check the progress after a few days with your hydrometer. If the SG is going down then you're doing ok. If there is anything you can do to bring the temp up your yeast will thank you for it (water bath + aquarium heater perhaps?)
Got a couple of spare sleeping bags that aren't keeping the beer in the shed warm, I'll use them.
:thumb:

Zedilly said:
icemetall said:
Thank you for reply.

How you will name temperature 15-16°C. Cold or Worm?

Peter

A Lancashire heatwave :D

Isn't it just lol

I'm about to bottle and wonder where to store them. Have no central heating so the most stable place will probably be under the stairs. I have no problem in the cooler temperature for my lager though. Probably cellar or kitchen, both cold places....

I just manage lower my temperature under the stairs cupboard to 12°C. Luckily one of the wall of my cupboard is an external one.
Simply I cut a big hole in in plaster board and remove insulation. I insulate other wall instead.

My wife said that I'm crazy but I love beer so much that I will do everything for perfect pint :-)

Peter

icemetall said:
My wife said that I'm crazy but I love beer so much that I will do everything for perfect pint :-)

If I was to look up "Top Bloke" in the dictionary Im pretty sure I'd see you picture. You're philosophy puts the ancient Greeks to shame, well done Sir :thumb: :clap:

Kinleycat said:
Despite my thermometer reading a constant 18-22c throughout my brewings, the actual liquid temperature is only 14c.

Your thermometer..is it one of those stick on things?? the reason I ask is you said
the actual liquid temperature is only 14c.

makes me think you used a glass thermo to check...if it is, bin it.

Dieseljockey said:
Kinleycat said:

Your thermometer..is it one of those stick on things?? the reason I ask is you said
the actual liquid temperature is only 14c.

makes me think you used a glass thermo to check...if it is, bin it.
I was relying on a digital room thermometer for the temp, I bought some stick on ones as the lady in the home brew shop had some on the counter - hence the discovery.
I now rely on the stickies - is that right?
Anyhoo the buckets are in the dining room with sleeping bags on them and they are up to 17c now so that looks like its heading in the right direction after (24ish hours).

Latest posts

Back