Wherry worries - floaters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matjam

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Wherry (first brew!) has been in primary since 16th June - so 10 days.
The OG was about 1.044 and I took a reading on Monday just gone and it was 1.012 so looking good. I'm going to take another reading tonight to make sure it's finished.

For the first 4 days or so it was in an upstairs cupboard and when I stuck my new LCD thermometer on the side of it, I realised it was rather hot - about 26C. After that I moved it down stairs and it's settled on 20C.

My concern is that when I took my 2nd hydrometer I noticed that there were a few bits floating about in the trial jar. Are these just clumps of yeast? I'm worried that being too hot at the start of fermentation has done something.

I'm hoping to bottle it this weekend (2 weeks) as I need the FV. Are bits floating about something to be expected?
Do people filter brews when they move it between vessels? Should I leave it longer.

Here's a picture taken this morning - does it look ok?

Cheers,
Matt

That looks fine to me, it's just yeast floating around. It's exactly what mine looks like :cheers:

I had this same concern. My 1st brew was a wherry and didnt look like this at all. But my 2nd brew is a wilko golden ale and i had these "floaters" too but just assumed it was yeast. Glad i was right :cheers:

Looks perfectly normal :thumb:

26 is too warm but wouldn't cause floaters.

Thanks for the replies - very reassuring.

So do I have to wait for them so sink, or just take it as it comes when I syphon into secondary? It will have had 2 weeks by then.

My wherry was at 26C for quite a few days too, now it tastes burnt and is not really a pleasant beer to drink. Hope yours end up in a better state than mine.

i've found it to be a waiting game where the longer you wait the better results! I'm on my 2nd beer kit (3rd in total with a cider kit inbetween). I moved my ale to secondary FV on monday and im looking to be bottling this Saturday and Sunday will be the 3 weeks mark. It still had some of those floaters when i racked it but they seem to have dropped now! The way i am looking at it is the longer i can leave it the more sediment will drop out of the beer in the FV and less in the bottle :).

matjam said:
Thanks for the replies - very reassuring.

So do I have to wait for them so sink, or just take it as it comes when I syphon into secondary? It will have had 2 weeks by then.

When you syphon into a secondary if you use a syphon with a sediment trap all that is floating on the top will be left in the bottom of the primary
Hope that makes sense. :hat:

matjam said:
So do I have to wait for them so sink, or just take it as it comes when I syphon into secondary?
Just move your primary somewhere cool for a week and forget secondary. A cold floor will help the yeast settle out and the beer clear.

Back