Which hop for smash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed bramlin cross too, any good for a smash?
Just seen this so not sure if you’ve already ordered.

Bram X is a good shout for a smash. I made one last year.

You need loads though. It’s not a punchy new world fruity hop, nor is it remiscent of Mr Kipling pies as the name would suggest. I found it quite subtle but a really good hop all the same.

Bit late to this, sorry...

I reckon Calypso, good dual purpose, for a summer ale.
1x100g pouch will just about do a smash. In 19l 30g bittering, 30g - 15, 40g flame out.

Next time you can get, some try Cascade, brilliant smash. Its my house beer.
Shout out if you need the full recipe.

Edit: just read the entire thread. I would do a 45m boil.
I too am getting an itch to try the apollo. Can I change my mind 😂

Last edited:
Done a bit more reading about it this morning. Seems to be very much like Marmite for a SMASH. I'll give it a go nonetheless.
Very marmite. Which is why I said be brave. You'll love it or hate it.

I've heard of blending two beers once before (pretty sure it was a video about smash beers). Is it simply mixing the two together (i.e. closed transfer from one keg to the other)?

Really don't want to hate 19l 😂
I appreciate that. I put the powerful and dank descriptors in so you would know what it would do.

If you bottle out you can use Apollo as a bittering hop in American styles, well suited. And maybe use smaller amounts later, alongside other hops.

Look at the Frank As Apollo maybe.

Just noticed on your recipe that you have the dry hop at 0 days. Kegging or just after pitch?
Meant zero minutes sorry. End of the boil.

I’m going to go all Apollo, it will be a 27litres batch, OG 1.069.
I’m thinking 45g Apollo at 60min
25g at flameout.
Should I be bothering with a 15min addition?
The way I see it you want a bittering addition and then either late/end of boil/hop stand, or dry hop, or both.

I'd suggest you cool to 80 after the boil and add some hops, and do a dry hop too.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you cool to 80 after the boil and add some hops, and do a dry hop too.
👍🏼👍🏼

I have given up 0 minutes, found the hot break/boil over easier to manage if you hold off the hops. And a better rounded bittering.
@15 @30 in a 45 minute boil. Then 85c for 30 mins

Latest posts

Back