Admiral Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Been looking into British hops recently and I see Admiral is one of the highest AA British hops and seems to almost have similar descriptors as some of the US/New World hops.

I wondered if anyone has used it to success? I'm tempted to try a SMASH with it.

Cheers!

Hey everyone!

Been looking into British hops recently and I see Admiral is one of the highest AA British hops and seems to almost have similar descriptors as some of the US/New World hops.

I wondered if anyone has used it to success? I'm tempted to try a SMASH with it.

Cheers!

I've used it a fair bit, mostly at various stages in the boil and really like it. You definitely get some orange / marmalade character from it.

Hook Norton do a single-hopped Admiral IPA called 'Flagship' that is worth trying if you want to see how it might come out.

I have used it as a single hop in Bitters/ales very underated hop. Similar to Stu taste wise just use it later if you do not like it too bitter as that drowns the flavour of the hops

Just noticed this thread. I use Admiral for bittering, as you say high AA makes it economical for that purpose. I've used it with good results on golden ale and bitter. I have never used it in a single-hop beer though.

I brewed a pale ale smash with it once. Found it quite unpleasant when young but it mellowed out after a few weeks and was quite good then.

Interesting! I ended up brewing an English pale ale with it a couple of weeks ago - I found the bitterness quite tame actually, but I used Admiral for bittering/hotside and then did a whirlpool and decent dry hop with Olicana. It's quite nice, but I'm not sure how much of it is the Olicana or the Admiral.

I do have a decent amount of Admiral left, so I may do some further experimentation with it. I found there's a lot of hype around Olicana being like a US hop - it is quite fruity, but there's definitely the classic British earthiness as well. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though!

Latest posts

Back