Which hop for smash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably avoid the Magnum and Apollo as they're primarily bittering hops. I have hada Magnum SMASH before and it was a bit meh.

Archer and Calypso are dual purpose so I'd probably go with one of those.

Archer is British, new world-style and Calypso is US.

Have a read of the flavour profiles and see what you prefer. Archer is peach, apricot, and lime. Calypso is pomme fruit, peach, and lime.

Lots of citra on Prime. Think I'll stick with my local supplier. I'd be moaning if they went under.
Screenshot_20230428-163908.png

Bram X good yeah.

Be brave and do Apollo - it's a powerful dank American hop and it will take you on a journey and rejig your world view. athumb.. :onechug:

Based on this advice I’ve ordered Apollo, I’m trusting you on this! Have you done an Apollo smash?
Yes just the once! But I would again. It's in the ball park of Columbus but danker and heavier. A reminder that hops and cannabis are in the same family. Batches will vary obviously.

You made a good choice IMO. Archer is a bit meh and calypso doesn't have much punch, as I remember. But I like the hit you get from Columbus, Apollo, Bravo.

An Apollo beer once won a national HB competition. Called Frank As Apollo. Recipe out there somewhere.

You have raised an eyebrow. Do you have a tried recipe?

I'd have to dig deep. I'll come up with something if you wish. Batch size and abv?

Based on this advice I’ve ordered Apollo, I’m trusting you on this! Have you done an Apollo smash?
I have done the Apollo IPA recipe kit from THBC years ago and that was good but can not remember exactly how it tasted and did not make notes

Something like (as a starting point) ...

19L 1065 60 IBU

5.000 kg Maris Otter Extra Pale
0.200 kg Crystal 100

30.0 g Apollo Pellet (17% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
30.0 g Apollo Pellet (17% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
40.0 g Apollo Pellet (17% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Latest posts

Back