Which kit to Fuggle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Hi all, after a little advice and opinion. I've got 20g of Fuggles and not sure where to put them.
Currently got a Bulldog Easter chocolate stout with the included hop tea added a couple of days ago, and set for bottling by the end of the week. Aside from that I have ready to go next...
St Peter's Cream Stout
Festival Pilgrims Hope
Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge
Bulldog Yule Brew (ginger and cinnamon)

...so what would you do? Does a little hop tea really give more flavour, while just lobbing them in dry hop style is all about aroma? What about in at the start with the wort and boiled water?
Cheers all!

...so what would you do? Does a little hop tea really give more flavour, while just lobbing them in dry hop style is all about aroma? What about in at the start with the wort and boiled water?
Cheers all!

Just seen the hop tea vs dry hop thread, which is food for thought. So please ignore all but this first question. Ta very much...

Hi all, after a little advice and opinion. I've got 20g of Fuggles and not sure where to put them.
Currently got a Bulldog Easter chocolate stout with the included hop tea added a couple of days ago, and set for bottling by the end of the week. Aside from that I have ready to go next...
St Peter's Cream Stout
Festival Pilgrims Hope
Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge
Bulldog Yule Brew (ginger and cinnamon)

Cheers all!

Still no replies...
My current bank holiday thinking is that if the Yule brew is as strong with cinnamon and ginger as the Easter brew is with chocolate then you wouldn't notice a few more hops. The pilgrims hope sounds heavily hopped already. That leaves the cream stout or the nelsons revenge. The cream stout I've done as standard before, and it was lovely if a little sweet, so a hop tea in this maybe? Or the nelsons revenge which I've never had, so no idea how it couldend up. Thoughts, please...

I dry hopped 50g east Kent golding in my Nelsons Revenge and it's turned out Ok and not too hoppy.
I have a Pilgrims Hope to do, but not brewed it yet, so I don't know what it's like, though that comes with dry hops.
Can't comment on the others.

Personally, I wouldn't put extra hops in any of those kits as they already have unique flavours, and you don't really want to hop a stout. I'd be more inclined to use Fuggles in a fairly bland kit like Coopers Real Ale or Woodfordes Wherry.

Personally, I wouldn't put extra hops in any of those kits as they already have unique flavours, and you don't really want to hop a stout. I'd be more inclined to use Fuggles in a fairly bland kit like Coopers Real Ale or Woodfordes Wherry.

Yep, Wherry takes additional hops really well, as do wilkos real ale and golden ale kits

Cheers guys. One question, why not add hops to a stout kit? Surely there are hops in there already anyway?

Yes there are hops in stout, but only a small amount, and it's the balance of them against the grains that makes it a stout.You could hop it, but then it wouldn't really be a stout? A bit like mild, it's the small amount of hops balanced with the malt that makes it a mild - add a load more hops and it isn't really a mild anymore (at least in my book). And a bit like fruit beer: if I want fruit, I'll eat an apple, I actually prefer my beer to taste of, er, beer :twisted:

Of course, you can do what you want, and the beauty of homebrewing is that you can experiment away as much as you like. So chuck some in if you want, just remember that you'll have 40 pints of it if you don't like it (or you could hop half of it, to see the difference). :thumb:

Latest posts

Back