Which recipe to follow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
Kicked off a rhubarb saison yesterday - the recipe stated fermenting at 21 deg, however the yeast stated ideal fermentation temp was 26 deg upwards? Which do I pick??

I have a Saison on the go (bottling tonight). From what I've read Saison yeasts like to free rise, so start at 21°C and let the temperature rise with fermentation.

As I did mine in a temperature controlled fridge I started at 22°C, fermented at that for three days before stepping up 0.5°C every 12 hours or so. After getting to over 28°C and 10 days it was pretty much finished. That was a lot faster than expected as some Saison yeasts supposedly take a month to ferment out.

In James Morton's Brew book he likes to let the yeast do its thing and rise freely to over 30°C to get the most character out of it.

I'm interested to know how the rhubarb flavour comes through.

I think starting low and rising the temperature is what you should do.

I did a saison a couple of years ago that I entered into a competition and I fermented at 28C for the whole fermentation. I thought it tasted great but was told in my feedback there were off flavours from the yeast and that I must have stressed it. I have another one in my plans so will start low and ramp up.

Latest posts

Back