which yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
looking online at the different yeasts available.. i see there are different ones for wine,cider.beer etc,,,,but there are different ones for beers,,, so whats the difference.. they all say beer yeast blah blah.
whats the difference?
im looking at doing the simple ag the clibit put up,what yeast should i use. ?
confused nube :shock:

There are lots of different yeasts for making beer. A lot of homebrewers stick to certain dried yeasts. They all do the same job but produce slightly different beers. Some yeasts are very different. Wheat beer yeasts for example, and Belgian yeasts.

You really want to start with a dried English ale yeast. The most popular are probably Nottingham, Safale S04 and Safale US05. Wilkos sell Gervin ale yeast, which is Nottingham, and is a good place to start.

have used safale and nottingham (Gervins G12) and have settled with the Gervin, not only does it go like the clappers but leaves a nice clean taste after its done its work.

The beers i tend to brew are the IPA/APA and blonde beers which suit it perfectly, If you're brewing lager make sure you get a lager or pilsner yeast depending on what you are aiming for....

Back