Yeast Starter - Which Layer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMP Brewery

Just realised I can put something here :)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the times I’ve propagated yeast has been after fermentation, I transfer some of what’s left in the bottom of the fermenter put it in the fridge and drain off the top, done washing it once I think but that was a faff. I’m going to do a brew this weekend with what’s still in the fermenter. Dumped it from the bottom drain and I’m now not sure which part to use as normally I have beer top and yeast bottom, with this I have 3 layers. The question is what layer should I be using.

Attachments

• 55DBAF02-A23E-47DE-8B24-9EB616EC56B7.jpeg
    55DBAF02-A23E-47DE-8B24-9EB616EC56B7.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
So the times I’ve propagated yeast has been after fermentation, I transfer some of what’s left in the bottom of the fermenter put it in the fridge and drain off the top, done washing it once I think but that was a faff. I’m going to do a brew this weekend with what’s still in the fermenter. Dumped it from the bottom drain and I’m now not sure which part to use as normally I have beer top and yeast bottom, with this I have 3 layers. The question is what layer should I be using.
Was that dumped from a conical? Looks really lively and ready to go!

Latest posts

Back