Belgian beer, is it all it's cracked up to be?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're doomed because you haven't offered anything to support the question 'Belgian beer, is it all it's cracked up to be?' other than that you don't like some of it, which is highly subjective. TB was your choice of example. I'm just enjoying deconstructing your weak arguments.

Why don't Belgian beers deserve their reputation?

Very nice Saison, probably My favourite beer style 👌
Screenshot_20240116-114307.png

The tripel is also top notch

Why don't Belgian beers deserve their reputation?
Look again at post #31, first sentence. It's nothing to do with Belgian beers per se.
And indeed, I wish you joy in your deconstruction.

Here, I doom you to reside on my ignore list for a year and a day. I didn't start this thread to be bored sh'itless. I get the impression @Brew_DD2 doesn't fully agree with my opinion, but he's not boring and I enjoy his banter.
Bye for now.

I'm not going to try and correct a Nederlender on this but haven't they rebranded so Bolleke is now the beer name too? Or is that just for export market?

View attachment 94800
It probably is somekind of re-branding then.
No idea when they did that though. I'm not that keen on this stuff.
I've only known it with the branding as below.
1705409654396.png

With the taller of the two glasses being a "Bolleke" and ordering one got you that particular glass.

Look again at post #31, first sentence. It's nothing to do with Belgian beers per se.
And indeed, I wish you joy in your deconstruction.

Here, I doom you to reside on my ignore list for a year and a day. I didn't start this thread to be bored sh'itless. I get the impression @Brew_DD2 doesn't fully agree with my opinion, but he's not boring and I enjoy his banter.
Bye for now.

You should be doomed to a punishment of a waterboarding with TB. Or Zinnebir. Bruxellensis is too good for you.

The Belgians will always hold a special place in my heart, having been responsible for snapping me out of the American Macro Market. All indications are though that those beers are buy and large "advanced" recipes and it will be awhile before I throw my hat into that particular ring.
Far from it. Belgian recipes are largely simple affairs that often only involve a couple of malts and some simple sugars, but they derive their rich and varied character from yeast and fermentation profile.

Far from it. Belgian recipes are largely simple affairs that often only involve a couple of malts and some simple sugars, but they derive their rich and varied character from yeast and fermentation profile.
Oh really? I've heard them mentioned for homebrewers in a kind of, hey maybe you shouldn't *start* there, kind of context.

Way better than over rated German beers in my opinion, I would put good British beers in front of Greman beers any day... but as they say each unto there own.

Last edited:
Were does one buy these alchemists dream i must try them, Can i get them online or is there a secret code one uses for under the under counter jobbie's athumb..

Any good online beer retailer. My shop of choice is Trembling Madness.

A good local bottle shop should carry these.

Can you really define Belgian beer? I have 395 different Belgian beers checked in on Untapped.

There are the beers distributed by AbInbev, which poisons everything it touches.

There are the medium sized players like Duvel and John Martin, who like to buy smaller players, but at least let them keep their own character.

There are of course the trappists, which are in a league of their own, and whose beer styles are cloned by almost everyone.

And then you really have a whole lot of smaller local players, with their own character and way of working. Here in Bruges, I am surrounded with a whole lot of municipalities which have at least one local brewery. And when I talk about small, some are really small, like "Moat" ("pal" in West-Flemish), which is brewed on commission for a butcher. Many let their beers brew by "De Proefbrouwerij".

And the lambics and gueuzes are really Brussel's beers.

I don't have any preferential Belgian beer, but some I drink more than others. Actually, going on by quantity, Vedett IPA is my go to beer (my wife also likes it). Probably followed by Westmalle Tripel, St.-Bernardus Abt 12, also WV 12 (I try to buy every two year a box of six. I like them young, but after a year of aging they are very good). (of course most of the beers I drink I brew myself :-p)

Latest posts

Back