White Substances Floating in Elderberry Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam00

Reaction score
Hi

Just be doing some elderberry wine for the first time , the wine has been fermenting for a few weeks now, but noticed that a white substance has developed on the surface maybe mould I think but not 100% sure.

Any advice would be super Many Thanks

Picture012-3.jpg

Picture011-2.jpg

Sorry pal, I don't hold out too much hope for that one. :sick:

If you can get the liquid out without disturbing the crust too much, hit it with about 4 crushed Campden tablets, then pray.

Think its called the flower virus or something like that - any way its bad news as it converts alcohol in your wine back to water.
Bin it and start again making sure everything is properly sanitised - something has got into your brew.

screamlead said:
Think its called the flower virus or something like that - any way its bad news as it converts alcohol in your wine back to water.
Bin it and start again making sure everything is properly sanitised - something has got into your brew.
Backwards Jesus?

Out of interest what and where was the recipe from?

I never trust recipes that call for using natural/wild yeast.....unless its for a sour dough starter for bread

It looks like some sort of mould mat if you ask me.

All wild flowers are covered in moulds, stick to recipes that use brewers yeast. Personally I'd never trust wild yeasts.

I was commenting on the desription of the mould turning the alocohol in the wine back into water. So like a backwards "water into wine" trick :)

greencheapsk8 said:
I was commenting on the desription of the mould turning the alocohol in the wine back into water. So like a backwards "water into wine" trick :)
That sounds like something the anti-christ would do :twisted:

Just one idea on this 'virus' i have had it twice on two seperate wines but after doing a little research on it i found out one of the reasons it tends to manifest itslef is because of too big an air gap between the top of the wine and the lid in the fermenter.
Something to do with too big a space being filled with oxygen and not enough CO2 from the ferment to counteract these rogue yeasties.
Mine happened in two barrels and there deffo wasnt enough to fill up to the 'shoulder' i cured one with campden tabs and filled it up with water to eliminate space. The other i lost completely.

Latest posts

Back