Whitelabs/Wyeast - worth the money?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
A genuine question - I'm just boning up on everything AG related and trying to decide waaaay ahead of time what my first brew will be :ugeek: :oops:

So, yes - is the extra £4 or so for one of the vials of liquid yeasts worth it over a £1.50 ish packet of dried yeast? I assume it must be, but all other things being equal, does it make the difference between a very good beer and an outstanding beer?

Definately worth the money IMO.
The yeasts can be split in to 4-6 lots and then each one of these used to make starters.
I started out using dried yeast....SO4, Notts & US05 and while it is true that you can make very good beer from these, I can definately now taste the charachter that the yeast brings to a beer. Particularly a low to moderate gravity session ale.
Example - A flavour I thought was a small inclusion of chocolate malt in the grain bill, I now know comes from a yeast.

I always have dried yeast in the 'fridge though just in case of any problems with the starter.

ATB :)

Awesome - I had read somewhere, maybe one of Aleman's posts that something like 80% of the flavour profile comes from yeast. I think when I start just after Christmas, I'll be using some of these then. If, like you say with a bit of effort you can split these into 4 or 6 to make starters than there is no increase in cost. (I'm a business analyst by trade- always looking for ROI! :lol: )

Am I right in thinking these yeasts are what some commercial brewers use?

CJ, you might want to consider the yeast slopes from Brewlab £3.50

http://www.brewlab.co.uk/analysisandresearch.asp

I'm new to this myself, but used their Thames Valley 2 for my 1st brew, which seems to be chugging along nicely for the last few days, and have ordered a TTL one that they do for my next brew. They are very helpful if you need any advice, either email them or give them a call.

GW is a fan of these, and says that they behave as a "true-to-type brewery yeast", "and would always use them in preference to other liquid types."

The thing is to try differnet types, until you get something that you are happy with.

Good luck :drink: :drink:

I had to use a packet yeast for the 1st time in about 15-20 years a few brews back, probable the most ordinary pint I`ve brewed in years

Yes worth the money 100% as mentioned above, if you grow and split they actually work out cheaper than dried yeast anyway in some cases.

If time is an issue or your brewdays are timed unpredictably though it can be a faff getting a a starter going.

I'm in the time/unpredictable camp so use packet yeast for convenience, i'd certainly use liquid yeasts if that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the info/advice chaps - I'm starting to feel confident that my first brew will be a belter already! :lol:

I'm going to have to re-read about making starters as I kind of skimmed over that a bit.

EDIT: Just been to the brewlabs webby and there are comprehensive instructions! :clap:

AND They do a Devon strain which I guess I will have to try first! :party:

Latest posts

Back