Who's the Boss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I owned a brewery, I wouldn't have employed any one of them either They couldn't tell an IPA from a porter, knew nothing about beer and didn't understand the ethos of the company.

I wouldn't have employed them through recruitment consultants either. I think I says loads about the consultants incompetence and the current belief in business that a manager in petroleum company can be a manager in a beer company or a school or a manufacturing company or run a council or (insert any other business you like here).

Surprisingly, I seem to be taking Brewdog's side here. It won't happen again.

Not only couldn't one of the candidates tell an IPA from a porter but in the evening in the hotel none of them ordered a beer. That was quite telling about all of them.

I don't think any of them were the ideal candidate for any brew company, the fact that it was Brew Dog was unimportant in that respect.

It was an interesting insight into the company though.

They blow **** up

I didn't think James came across that well actually. Loved the idea of getting the workforce involved but when he didn't like the way things were going just pulled the plug.
If he didn't like the candidates they shouldn't of been there in the first place.

Didn't watch the Brew Dog episode but I watched the earlier one, which was hiring a sales exec for a chocolate manufacturer. If I'd had anything to do with it, I wouldn't have taken any of the three on offer. If the Brew Dog three (guilty? :nono:) were similarly talented the man done good.

Aye imagine Captain James or whatever he's called with a Cooper's plunger in his hand trying to get shot of the half a bogroll that the kids have chucked down the khazi! I bet the big ponce hasn't even got a lawnmower... I have... and its petrol... and I cleaned the carburetor on it on Sunday.

Lawnmower?! Ya big puff.
I've got a scythe. I'm a thinking mans Poldark.

Personally I thought Cap'n James was a bit of a berk. He's clearly made a concerted study in nonchalance.
He's as facist as those he hates but he doesn't see it.
They have done good things for beer though, and I love sitting in their bars. Unfortunately our local has just scored a zero on the hygiene rating. Probably too many facial hairs in the food.

Lawnmower?! Ya big puff.
I've got a scythe. I'm a thinking mans Poldark.

Personally I thought Cap'n James was a bit of a berk. He's clearly made a concerted study in nonchalance.
He's as facist as those he hates but he doesn't see it.
They have done good things for beer though, and I love sitting in their bars. Unfortunately our local has just scored a zero on the hygiene rating. Probably too many facial hairs in the food.

Scythe... pah... I've got a goat, but sometimes's I eat the goat and chew the grass short myself.

I cant comment on their beers as I never drank one. What I dont like about BrewDog is the whole ethos of the company. They once came out with a marketing slogan "We dont care if you dont like our beers", thats fine by me, i wont buy any.
The owner dropped the title CEO for Captain, its still a title, he wants to be one of the staff, but feels the need to tell his employees that he is the boss. Every employee knows who he is. Im in middle management that has a title, but only liked to be called John, my co-workers know who I am and my position.
With reference to the programme "Who`s the Boss" James should have never let it get as far as it did. Before filming he should have checked the CV`s of candidates, he knows what he wanted, but didnt act on it until half way through the process, but hey, its his company and he can do what he likes.....and did, but all to late.
I think BrewDog have really shot themselves in the foot with this one, and can only imagine that the next position available will be for a PR Manager.

I was accosted by one of my clients this morning about the programme, as he knows I brew beer. Some of the adjectives he used to describe Mr Watt were not suitable for a forum such as this :lol:

I like brewdog but like many others, find the clientele and the staff cringe worthy.

Man buns, beards, tattoos, plunging v neck tops - on blokes.

They all look man's man manly, what with the beard and perfectly honed bodies with great skin.

No one could wire a plug or change a car tyre.

I have a beard, a big bushy beard and tattoos, that doesn't mean I cant change a car tyre or wire a plug though... I'm not a woman for Christ's sake :whistle:

I have to say I just watched this and I fully agree with what James did. I think he's getting a bad wrap for nothing.

Those three candidates, none of them seemed fit for the job and definitely not for the BrewDog environment. It's a business at the end of the day and a potential 50K job up for grabs. Would you give that to someone you knew wasn't capable of doing the job asked of them? Either would I.

The failure is the recruitment agents that put the applicants forward. I doubt BrewDog use recruitment agencies (why would they?!) and this clearly shows why.

Other than that was good to see a little behind the scenes of the brewery, been there a few times. Interesting seeing my home town on TV too, looks better on the telly. ;-)

I have to say I just watched this and I fully agree with what James did. I think he's getting a bad wrap for nothing.

Those three candidates, none of them seemed fit for the job and definitely not for the BrewDog environment. It's a business at the end of the day and a potential 50K job up for grabs. Would you give that to someone you knew wasn't capable of doing the job asked of them? Either would I.

The failure is the recruitment agents that put the applicants forward. I doubt BrewDog use recruitment agencies (why would they?!) and this clearly shows why.

Other than that was good to see a little behind the scenes of the brewery, been there a few times. Interesting seeing my home town on TV too, looks better on the telly. ;-)

Take your points mate but personally I thought he came across as little more than an arrogant, controlling boy racer and really tainted my first view of BrewDog which I knew very little about before the show. If anything it actually put me off buying rather than trying any of their products.

I understand that it's no small thing to employ someone in such a responsible position on �£50k a year but what he should have done is consider their CVs before he even entered into the process not half way through! From what I saw a number of his employees were probably holding back on what they really wanted to say about him for fear of the sack.

Cynics might say he let them go ahead with the program knowing full well that he wasn't happy and intended to change his mind all along but knowing that it was free air time for the company. Unfortunately I thought it had the opposite effect and just deprived perhaps a more deserving company of the opportunity.

Good luck to them but I don't think I'll be trying any of their products soon. Just my humble opinion. :)

Yep. Agree with this. If they were going to have the whole workforce involved in the recruitment process they should have started with advertising and first sift, not just the last stages.

Back