Wilco Chardonnay infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoofy

Reaction score
It's one of the premium kits made by Muntons, I think. The wine has fermented and has been stabilised with the finings having been added 5 days ago. The wine smells fine, but it's brown in colour. It looks more like an ale than a white wine.

Is it infected and should I just pour it down the drain?

RobWalker said:
if ts still in the demi john, its usual for colour to differ - there's more of the liquid. it will look much lighter in the glass.
It's in a 23l FV so I'm sure you're right to some extent, but it does still look very brown coloured to me. I'll try dipping a glass in later and see how it looks then.

I've just dipped a glass in the FV and the wine is clear as a bell and looks just like whisky.

Could it still be fine or does it sound infected? I've tasted it and it doesn't taste bad, but I don't drink wine so I'm not a good judge.

hahah, that's very odd. i'm at a loss, unless it's related to sun exposure etc...but if it tastes fine, there's no real reason not to drink it.

I've just done a second kit with exactly the same results. The wine looks more like whisky.

Both kits were bought in the Wilkinsons half price sale in the summer. :hmm:

The wine tastes ok though, so it's going to be getting supped.

I had the same results, and others have reported the same It's typical of Muntons white wine kits. There is nothing wrong. Some white wines are darker than others, but since you typically view them in a bottle rather than a 23 litre container, the difference is far less pronounced.

Latest posts

Back