Wilkinsons real ale kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you've done a couple of kits and know the basics, so how about giving a Tribute Extract recipe pack a go? A little more complex than 2-can kits (you'll need to get a boil going and drop hops in at certain intervals) but not that complex, and you will end up with a beer close to Tribute:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/tribute-extract-recipe.html

Thanks Darrell! Kits I've used so far have been the two cans job in a fermentation bin then syphoning off in to a bottom tap king keg and adding sugar. This extract method seems a bit more complex but I'd consider giving it a go. As you can tell I am fairly new to this and would just like to have a successful brew under my belt but the selection of kits is rather mind-boggling.

Wilko real ale was my first beer kit for over 20 years and I shall probably drink the last of the keg tonight. In my opinion this is a very nice beer. Nice colour, good head,malty aroma and just enough bitterness, undercut with a subtle fruity sweetness a bit like malt loaf. I bought the kit when it was on offer and if I remember correctly, I only paid sixteen quid for it, the same price as a one can kit with enhancer. I left it about a fortnight before I started drinking it and it's got progressively better as I've gone down the keg. I would definitely brew this again.

Great, thanks! I've heard good things about both the Wilko Real Ale Kit and Woodeforde Wherry from research I've done online. It also seems that something between 6-10g of yeast is required and also 80g sugar. Would you also recommend fermenting the yeast in tepid water before adding to the bin?

Quick update: I purchased a Woodeford Wherry kit and after a lot of advise from my dad bought a new fermentation bin with a better lid and a bubbler valve. So far so good and it's been bubbling away nicely over the last few days. Wish me luck, I'm hoping third time lucky :pray:

Been over a month a half since I brewed this but this is still very bitter...I was hoping it would mellow by now..hope it changes as it is quite a promising beer but bitterness without a real hop profile just doesn't work for me.

2 months and one week since brewing and this is a nice floral beer. Pity I am down to the last dozen bottles! leave this one for at least a month outside to get the best out of it.

Back