Wilkinsons yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy jack

Reaction score
Hello all.
Has anyone used Gervin yeast, Wilkinsons own brand, if so what is your opinion?
Cheers,Jack.

Apparently wilkos gervin is nottingham ale yeast re packed :thumb: o
There was a thread on Jim's where the bloke in charge of wikos homebrew confirmed it

Andy

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have bought some of this as a spare. What advantages and disadvantages would using this yeast have compared to those supplied in kit?

itbrvilla said:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have bought some of this as a spare. What advantages and disadvantages would using this yeast have compared to those supplied in kit?

The main one is that IIRC it will be an 11/12g sachet, rather than the 6g you likely got with the kit. If the kit is for roughly 23L (of a typical English ale of some kind) then I would use the Gervin instead of the kit sachet. Online pitch rate calcs will confirm that 6g is likely to be an under-pitch.

Things may have changed since I last did kits, but you generally only get 5g of yeast supplied. I think the sachets of Nottingham are 11.5g; if not then it's about that amount.
This means if you use the yeast supplied with the kit you are almost certainly underpitching and you will get an extended lag period before fermentation starts.
IIRC, I think underpitching of yeast is associated with some off flavours....I'm 100% on that so someone please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. Other than under pitching potentially leading to off flavors,are there any other perks of the wilko yeast? Would it be better for certain styles of beerts?

Latest posts

Back