Wilko Chardonnay - has fermentation stuck??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo_C

Reaction score
Hi, was just wondering if anyone could advise me please?

I am currently fermenting a 4.5l Wilkos Chardonnay kit. I started the kit on the 4/3/2013, and recorded an OG of 1.098 @ 21 degrees.

A vigorous fermentation ensued, and I topped up the kit to 4.5l of cooled boiled water as instructed three days later and left to continue fermenting.

Noticed yesterday that the airlock had stopped bubbling, so drew out 100mm and recorded an S.G of 0.992 @24 degrees (Having had the FV sat in a bucket of water heated to what I thought was 22 degrees).

Took another reading again this evening and it has read an S.G of 0.992, again @ 24 degrees (despite lowering the temperature of the heater by a couple of degrees).

So, my question is, has this fermentation stuck, as it the kit implies an average fermentation period of about ten days (in comparison to my seven so far), or has it just fermented quickly due to the higher temperature?

Secondly, I would be grateful if someone could advise, if I am to add a crushed Campden tablet to the kit at this point, as the kit makes no mention of this, but it seems to be the done thing. should it be added at the same time as the stabiliser and finings, or after the period where the FV is shaken to remove the build up of Carbon Dioxide??

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Paul

ignore kit instructions, go by readings. kits are often quick to ferment from what I hear. longer is entirely realistic too.

0.992 is fine, looks completed but give it a few days at least. i like to clear mine out before racking so you only have to rack once.

yes, add a campden tablet, it prevents any infection as the wine's protected during fermentation by co2, but not afterwards. add it at the same time as stabliser (I use K-sorbate) and finings, add them all when you rack. degassing can be done at this point too :thumb:

Thanks Rob,

So, just to clarify, once I've added the stabiliser, finings and campden tablet, following the instructions I am supposed to shake the FV over 24 hours to de-gas, then leave for a further ten days to clear.

I will be bottling this kit, so, am I so rack after this ten day period has elapsed, or after the 24 hr degassing period, and then transfer into a second demijohn and leave to clear in that?

New to wine making, so a little uncertain still..

Paul

Latest posts

Back