Stuck fermentation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed a mangrove jack extract kit on Friday evening. I pitched yeast at around 16 degrees.
My FV is now sitting under my kitchen table with a towel wrapped around it but there has been absolutely no sign of any fermentation taking place thus far. Any suggestions?

I brewed a mangrove jack extract kit on Friday evening. I pitched yeast at around 16 degrees.
My FV is now sitting under my kitchen table with a towel wrapped around it but there has been absolutely no sign of any fermentation taking place thus far. Any suggestions?
Rightly or wrongly, i normally ferment at around 20-21 degrees and I’ve never had any issues.

Is the base of the FV protected from the cold floor?

You might want to put something under it. I had issues with bottles not carbing up when I placed them in the bath tub. It was my first ever batch and I was worried about exploding bottles. Figured the bath was the safest place. But the cold surface inhibited the yeast and stopped it attacking the sugar. Beers were flat until I moved them to the hot press. I should point out that my hot press was never really that warm, just a good bit warmer than a cold bath tub surface.

Sometimes it can be fermenting, but you don't see airlock activity. The lid may not be fully on, leading to a slight leak, airlock may not be fully topped up, seals may my fully seal etc. Crack the lid a little and see if you can see a krausen or a smell of co2. Yeast should still ferment at 16 degrees. Chances are that it is actually fermenting.

How old was the kit/yeast? Dried yeast lasts years, but it's not immortal.

Latest posts

Back