Wilko Cherry wine kit problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now day two and it's bubbling about once every 50 seconds now. I've ordered the heat pad for my Beaverdale Cabernet Shiraz, as my current Wilko Black Cherry is now a constant 22 degrees.

Did this one:

WILCO BLACK CHERRY WINE KIT

Started May 2015
Bottled June 2015
Verdict– Well worth doing again.

My one memory is that I had to clean up the worktop after it kicked off! I suggest that you stick it in a bowl for the first couple of days until it calms down a bit.

End then leave it alone for at least a month.

Pads on order. Chippy also recommended it

I used mine last week and regretted it as it took off like rocket and filled the blow off tube, if your room is above 18c I wouldn't use it yet as you will notice the temperature rises a couple of degrees while fermenting.

I'll not use it on this brew, aa it's a constant 22 degrees. It's still producing one bubble per minute. I'm assuming that's normal?

I loved my first wine Worzels Orange Wine (the original WOW recipe) but after the last bottle was finished (not all on the same night) i decided i wouldn't make that one again, i am sure you will enjoy it. wink...

Thus us the only wine kit that takes my fancy at wilko. I remember my mum and dad making a cherry wine kit many years ago and when done it was really nice. Not the wilko one though as I was only a teen then. However, at that time in my life any alcohol drink would of been nice lol.

It would be interesting to see how your kit goes and if it takes a bit longer to kick off, so I know what to expect when I do mine.

Trial and error as they say. I'm keeping a detailed daily diary on making the wilko kit, and tomorrow will be day five.
The only change will be to add 1 litre of Tesco Blackcurrant concentrate (boiled etc) 1 litre of water and the Black Cherry bag that came with the kit (looks like plasma).ashock1

Wilko Black Cherry kit now on day 5 bubbling once every 10 seconds at 22 degrees.
Instructions show top up to 4.5 litres with cooled boiled water and allow to carry on fermenting for roughly 7 days.
Due to what I put in the first paragraph, should I leave it longer?

I'd top it up at the time stated in the Instructions; but that would be measured from the start of fermentation rather than when I had pitched the yeast.

The secret is to add the water in the "sweet spot" between when it isn't fermenting violently enough to climb out of the DJ and when it hasn't stopped fermenting altogether; and that's a matter of experience that will improve the more often you start a brew.

With regard to leaving the brew for "7 days" after adding the water, I would leave it for another two weeks at least ...

... and use the interim period to start my next brew!

Thanks. It does say wait 7 days until fermentation is complete. Obviously this could take longer, so will just keep checking before the next stage in the instructions.

Back