Wilko Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOne

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Going to brew my second ever batch tomorrow- this time it’s a Wilko Pilsner kit.
I’m thinking of adding 1kg of light spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar to push the ABV up slightly. Just wondering what I can expect from something like this, or if any of you folks have suggestions on improving this kit/recipe.

I’m still new to the game so any tips/pointers would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

I presume the kit already calls for an addition of some brewing sugar like a lot of kits?
Shouldn't effect the tastes too much adding more spray malt apart from diluting the hop flavour, adding more brewing sugar will give a drier, lighter body beer but with 500g it really shouldn't affect it that much and will give you a decent abv increase

I presume the kit already calls for an addition of some brewing sugar like a lot of kits?
Shouldn't effect the tastes too much adding more spray malt apart from diluting the hop flavour, adding more brewing sugar will give a drier, lighter body beer but with 500g it really shouldn't affect it that much and will give you a decent abv increase

Yes, the kit calls for 1kg of brewing sugar. I thought adding a mix of sugar and spray malt would add a bit more body and a better product overall. What have you found works best with light kits such as this?

I'm mainly an all grain brewer nowadays so haven't used these kits in a while but i think what you have suggested will be fine, as long as you make sure its light spray malt and your yeast can handle the extra sugar but the extra 500g of sugar should only add about 9 gravity points to a 5 gallon batch so i presume it will be fine

Back