Wilko's Newkie Brown bottled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critty

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok so the last brew, Coopers Mexican, went horribly wrong (don't ask). So I went onto a tin of Wilko's Newkie Brown that I had spare. Brewed acording to instructions and brewed great. Really crazily strong fermentation. However, DOH!, made a mistake and used a 500g bag of extra dark spray malt instead of the bag of dark lol. So now it's super dark, almost stout dark. However it tastes like Newkie Brown but, and this is a kicker, the extra dark malt has had the effect of adding a chocolate after taste. :shock:

Actually no... thats not right...

:party: :clap: :party: :grin: :party: :clap: :party: :grin: :party: :clap:

Thats better :D

fXx76Ksl.jpg

It tastes surprisingly good with that after taste. I don't know what's happened but it's pretty darn good.

I was quite fancying having a go at that one myself when I saw that kit in Wilkos (I'm new to home brew and am partial to a newkie brown), but am even more interested seeing as you've given it a chocolate aftertaste! Where do you get the dark and extra dark spray malts from? Wilkos only do the light and medium and I haven't really investigated other sources for brewing ingredients yet

devyhead said:
I was quite fancying having a go at that one myself when I saw that kit in Wilkos (I'm new to home brew and am partial to a newkie brown), but am even more interested seeing as you've given it a chocolate aftertaste! Where do you get the dark and extra dark spray malts from? Wilkos only do the light and medium and I haven't really investigated other sources for brewing ingredients yet

From my local homebrew store. The medium, dark probably at a push, would have been enough. But 7 month old baby and lack of sleep meant I got my malts mixed up when I made it. lol.

Will wait for it to mature before giving a final evaluation on it. But so far it's looking good.

Latest posts

Back