Will my wine be okay?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothlager

Reaction score
Ive got a blackberry wine, its been fermenting for about 5 weeks now and over the past 3 days, I think with an uncontrollable fluctuation in temperature, its stopped bubbling for between 3 and 6 hours on 3 occasions. its going at the moment and has been for about 24 hours but very slow; probably a bubble every 10 to 15 mins.
Has this happened to others and if so did you do anything? and was the wine okay?
If i could fully control the temp I would but not really possible as me and my wife both at work during the day and if its cold as it has been over the last few days, no heating on, then it appears to stop for a bit. It was bubbling very slow before this anyway and other wines only fermenting a couple of weeks have continued to bubble.
Any help, guidance or similar experiences appreciated, thanks.

Oh come on, you can't have a wine fermenting for 5 weeks, one bubble every few minutes doesn't count.

What's your hydrometer reading?

Have you racked yet?

Is there much headspace in the jar?

Moley said:
Oh come on, you can't have a wine fermenting for 5 weeks, one bubble every few minutes doesn't count.

Have you racked yet?

Is there much headspace in the jar?

I believe youre advising me to get a hydrometer reading and rack it? I will do that tonight when Im home from work or tomorrow: I will feedback the results.

There is hardly any headspace in the DJ. About 4.6L in a DJ that holds about 4.8L.

It slowed down to about a bubble every few minutes about 1 week ago. So when we say finished fermenting are we saying every few minutes of bubbling then leave for about a week and then rack?
Im fairly new to winemaking and sometimes in the eagerness to get it right I appear to sometimes get it so wrong; I really appreciate your knowledge and swift responses to my questions, thankyou.

Moley said:

Have you racked yet?

Racked it a couple of days ago with a hydrometer reading of 0.992.

As I expected, it's finished, you've racked, now leave it somewhere cool and dark for a couple of months. :thumb:

Okay will do Moley thanks, so from now on I'll take it as done when the bubbles down to about 2 mins.
BTW I did my first WOW about 10 days ago SG of 1.088 when adjusted for topping up and its been going really well: I think Ive been converted.

Latest posts

Back