Will this work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devonhomebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Devonshire Bitter
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.000
Total Hops (g): 120.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.03 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.6
Bitterness (IBU): 50.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Maris Otter Malt
0.250 kg Amber Malt
0.250 kg Caramalt

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf @ 90 Minutes
25.0 g Fuggles Leaf @ 90 Minutes
20.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf @ 30 Minutes
20.0 g Fuggles Leaf @ 30 Minutes
15.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf @ 5 Minutes
15.0 g Fuggles Leaf @ 5 Minutes

Misc Bill
----------------
3.0 g Table Salt @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17°C with Danstar Nottingham

Notes
----------------
Im hoping that the 63*C mash temp and table salt addition into the ash will give the beer less body but more maltyness.

63c will give you a lot less body but malt is balanced by IBU's so I would have said with that IBU's you are not going to get much maltyness.

Looks good!

I'd probably dial the hops back just a little bit, 50 IBUs in 1.041 beer might be a bit much. I would adjust down to 40 IBUs if it was for me (or down to 25 if it was for a poor unsuspecting lager drinking sap!). I certainly like hops, but I think this might be a little unbalanced.

Good call on pairing fuggles and EKG through the additions, can't go wrong with that combo!

Nottingham is a good choice here. You've got a strong malt backbone and a bucket full of hops so a cleaner strain like Notty will keep this beer from tasting like there's too much going on.

I'm curious about your salt addition. Have you done this before? I know of people who do add salts to their water, but this is usually done on a case by case basis when you know that your specific water mineral profile needs it.

Ive been told for soft water like in devon i need to add table salt to it about 3g if it want it to be a ood balance of malt and hop just an experiement

Ok cool, if you know your water is soft and want to try adjustments that's certainly worth checking out!

My experience of fuggles is that they're a sort of "blunt tool." Be careful with the high IBU's because it's a quite a rough tasting hop.

I'm sure your beer would be darker than 7 SRM with that much caramalt and amber malt too :hmm:

Back