Wine Brewer thinking of beer...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to this forum, i usually reside over in teh Wine pages.

I have been brewing my own wine now for over 12 months and am happy with it.

I would liek to have a go at Beer (specifically some Cherry Beer Kriek, maybe from a kit).

What additional equipment will i need over and above my usual wine brewing gear?

Thanks.

Cussword said:
Bottles, & or keg :thumb:
That's about it really, either a keg and some form of CO2 injector, or a load of bottles. You will need a crown capper and a bag of caps if you're using glass bottles, or you can use plastic pop bottles with their screw caps.

Other than that, you should have everything you need.

It's usually the other way around, brewers might need a few extra things if they want to make wine.

Ah OK, good news.

Wasnt sure if i needed a corny keg? (something ive heard banded about on the forums) and as you say some sort of gass injection.

Do you just brew as per instructions (like wine), then bottle with primer for fizziness?

Cheers

Yeah, thats just about the same thing really. Keg and bottles are the difference. follow the instructions. add priming sugar (in to the bottles or CO2 with kegs) at the end to make it fizzy then cap.

dizidave said:
Wasn't sure if i needed a corny keg? (something I've heard bandied about on the forums) and as you say some sort of gas injection.
Corny kegs are an advanced option if you're brewing quite a bit and on a regular basis, the initial investment is quite high but they should serve you well in the long term.

For a first couple of brews, use bottles.

OK guys thanks for the info.

I have some swing top bottles (i assume these will be ok?)

And am i OK to reuse beer bottles and "re-cap" (cant see why not, but thought id check).

Maybe plastic screw tops would be easier.

Screw tops are a lot easier! definitly. but i've always felt a lot better trying a beer out of one of my own bottles. or letting my family have a sip out of one. but if you just wanna have a quick taste at something maybe just using PET screwtops is the best.

Back