wine filters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streamer13

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a vinbrite filter kit. Can anyone recommend them or let me know what it is. I imagine the wine will be in a closed system where it is not being exposed to the air. The adverts don't really explain much about how the system works etc'. The most I would be doing is 5 gallons at a time.

I've been using one for 12 months, if you use it at the right time it really polishes the wine. If you use it earlier ( not too earlier though), it may take some time, but will clear a cloudy wine :thumb:

I'm not too fussy about the time it takes if it is under a closed system where the air can't get to the wine. Can anyone tell me if this is the way it works. If it's an open system how long does it take to filter a gallon of wine?

Its not a closed system in that there will be some air in the filter and a lot in the DJ it drips into but if you drop a crushed campden into the receiving DJ then oxidation will not be a problem.

Others have done it without a campden and repotred its fine but anytime wine is exposed I like to use a tablet to prevent infection anyway.

Yes, I would recommend the Vinbrite, and I agree with the comments already made by Cussword and Samarith.

It's a relatively cheap filter system which is great for polishing clear wines, but would be very slow and expensive on filter pads if you're trying to clear cloudy wine.

I usually expect to get 5-6 gallons of wine through one pad, in the space of about an hour, and I always add metabisulphite to the receiving vessel.

Another alternative are the 10" cartridge filters if you have a large amount of wine to filter. . . . A 1 Micron filter should cear pretty much all the yeast from it, and you can buy those from eBay for around 1.90 each (if you buy 10 at a time)

I have a Vinbrite that was donated to me that I've never used.
Cover the cost of postage and it's yours...........if I can find it :lol:

Been busy on the brambles and elderberries so just logged in for the first time for a wee while. Thanks for the offer but I bought a vinbrite with my last order and I am thoroughly delighted with product. It has given me a new incentive to show off my wines at their best. I filtered 5 gallons the other day with the one pad so it was a long shift because I had to rack them all first but the end product is beyond my wildest dreams. My mother use to always come away with sayings that stuck with me throughout life and the one that comes to mind is "Its Shining Like a Shilling"
Thanks to all for your helpful feedback.

Latest posts

Back