wine making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streamer13

Reaction score
Any tips on what to buy and where to get in online on how to get the acid level right in a red wine. I made my first red wine kit and it tastes a bit acidic. I don't think it's turning to vinegar but it is too strong an acid flavour and it's kind of heart burn material. I wondered if its just too young or if maybe I should have had some chalk in it when I was making it. Maybe it's just a flop.

I just bottled a batch of wild cherry and it has come out quite sharp aswell, I am simply back sweetening with white grape juice and that is doing the trick! :cheers:

I recently made a red wine from grapes, at the first racking it tasted bloody nice but when i tried a sample a couple of weeks later it didnt taste that good, like yours it was rather acid like. But i was told that with red wines you should let it mature. I would personly let it sit for about 6 months and then see what its like.

If its a kit the odds are that the acidity levels have already been adjusted correctly. As Dave said Reds do take some ageing, personally I wouldn't touch it for 6 months at all . . . . . I really hate the way certain wine kits are sold as "Ready to Drink in 7/14/21 Days" . . . Yeah you can drink it . . . and it won't kill you . . . . but it will be better after three months . . . and with reds coming to its best after 12 . . . and sound for at least 2-3 years after that

bandit081 said:
I am simply back sweetening with white grape juice and that is doing the trick!
:cheers: I do like it dry so it looks like I'm back on the beer for a few months. Thanks to all for your helpful comments. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back