Red Wine Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Legge

Reaction score
I've been making wine kits for around 3 years now with generally good results.

I've found that the white wine kits at the cheaper end (£25-30) are usually very drinkable but that reds in that price range are not great - no real body and a tad acidic - so I buy the WinExpert kits for my reds (usually the Malbec or Diabolo Rojo) which always turn out very well and can be drunk straight away.

Ideally I'd like to be making a red that comes out like a decent French vin de table from a cheaper kit - does anyone have any pointers? I have tried most of the cheaper kits, but end up chilling the results and telling my wife it's rose - she loves them! I have just bought a kit from the Range based on what I've read here and will start it off in the next couple of weeks to see if that is my holy grail.

I have just bought a kit from the Range based on what I've read here and will start it off in the next couple of weeks to see if that is my holy grail.
We make this kit often due to it not being a full bodied wine we have always thought it half way between a Rose wine and a full bodied Red which suits our taste, you may be disappointed if you prefer the latter.

Its been a while since the Range have had their MYO kits in store i notice the prices have jumped by £3 - £5 still well worth it.

kkkkure.JPG

We make this kit often due to it not being a full bodied wine we have always thought it half way between a Rose wine and a full bodied Red which suits our taste, you may be disappointed if you prefer the latter.
I'm not after something that's really full bodied, more like a quaffable cotes de rhone. I'll give it a whirl and see what I get! If it's more faux rose at least the missus will be happy :)

Here are some MYO threads -

MYO RED Wine Features
  • Brews a light-bodied, fruity wine
  • Easy drinking
  • Lightly oaked with intense, ripe berry fruit flavours
Information
This Red Wine Kit brews a light-bodied, fruity, easy drinking, dry red table wine. This make your own red wine is structured and lightly oaked with intense, ripe berry fruit flavours that vividly reflect blossoming fruity berries at their best. This particular red wine from our selection of home brew kits is a great accompaniment to food and will be ideal to sip on whilst eating a meal. That isn't to say that this red wine can't go it alone, as there is more than enough flavour and delight for it to be enjoyed on its own.

Specification
  • Allergy Information: Contains Sulphites and Crustaceans

The Range Make Your Own Rose Wine (6/10/2019)

The Range "Make Your Own" Apple Cider kit
The Range "Make Your Own" Red Wine Kit - Chippy_tea
The Range "Make your own" Red - Gorty
The Range "Make your own" Rose
The Range "make your own" White Wine

I have yet to find a red wine kit sub £40 that doesn't taste like alcoholic Ribena. The Beaverdale kits are much better.

My wife just suggested adding blackberries to a Range wine kit as we have huge amounts of really large, sweet blackberries ATM. Any guidance on what weight to add?

I've been making wine kits for around 3 years now with generally good results.

I've found that the white wine kits at the cheaper end (£25-30) are usually very drinkable but that reds in that price range are not great - no real body and a tad acidic - so I buy the WinExpert kits for my reds (usually the Malbec or Diabolo Rojo) which always turn out very well and can be drunk straight away.

Ideally I'd like to be making a red that comes out like a decent French vin de table from a cheaper kit - does anyone have any pointers? I have tried most of the cheaper kits, but end up chilling the results and telling my wife it's rose - she loves them! I have just bought a kit from the Range based on what I've read here and will start it off in the next couple of weeks to see if that is my holy grail.
You get what you pay for I'm afraid. French Vin de pays is remarkable when drunk in France at even the humblest cafe but they're not sending that over here oh no! Kits which contain higher amounts of grape juice are the best and those which don't and also require you to add the odd kg or so of sugar are the worst. I have been tempted to try- is it the Cellar 5 range - but again i am put off by the much lower price; not just a fiver but quite a lot; but a chum of mine who runs a homebrew shop is sending me a bottle to try so we'll see. As for the cheaper kit giving you the required resut, even at fifty quid for a Wine Expert kit it's still a lot cheaper than you'd pay in the shops for even a Vin de pays.

Back