Wine slow to ferment? Yeast not up to right temp...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Quick question,

I put a Wine Co Californian Chardonnay on 6 days ago SG 1087 which was in range; I reconstituted the yeast pack instructions which were 35 degrees but I only did about 25 degrees; ferment temp 20.5 degrees.

Today its 1055 and it needs to go down to 0.996 current temp is 20.5 but I have now upped it to 21.5 and given it a gentle stir.

Seems really slow have done these before and they always ferment out to correct temp. Do you think the yeast lost some of its cells? When I poured in the yeast some it it appeared to sink straight to the bottom of the FV.

Also can you add more yeast half way through fermentation if its not moving?

Thanks

Kimosabby

I was surprised they recommend 35c but having looked at a few rehydration threads it would seem its about the maximum you should use (i always aim for 25c) i doubt you have lost many cells 6 days is not a long time even on a heat pad mine take 10 days plus, you can add more yeast but i wouldn't risk it at this stage i have no doubt it will finish given time.

Cheers for that; ill give another week and take a reading then. These have normally got to 0.996 after 14 days.

What's the risk with adding more yeast when your well into the intial fermentation?

Latest posts

Back