Wort chiller query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fugglehead

Reaction score
Hi, new to this site. After a 6 year break from home brewing I'm restarting. Just bought a burco boiler and have fitted some copper pipe with holes drilled in it inside to act as a hopback. (I did this with my old burco that I stupidly gave away & it seemed to work fine). I am about to make a wort chiller from a coil of 10mm copper pipe. Have never used one of these and was wondering if there is any reason why I could not empty my wort into the primary fermenter and use the chiller in that. I know some people put the chiller straight into the boiler at the end of the boil. Any thoughts?

the main reason for dropping it straight into the boiler about 10 mins before flame out is to sterilise the chiller. so long as you sterilise it first i can't see any reason why you couldn't put it in the fermenter.

Thanks for that. Seems like I've come to the right place to find answers to all those niggling questions I lie awake at night worrying about. I'm sure I'll be picking peoples brains on all aspects of the art of brewing over the next few weeks.

Will you not miss the cold break by chilling in the primary... or at least not filter out the proteins that result?

hi,chillin in the boiler gives the hops time to settle down so that when you run off to the primary you leave most of the break &cruddy material behind with the hops aiding the filtration process.All is needed then is to add yeast and let it ferment on cleanish wort rather than on all the break/crud. just my take on it :cheers: ken.

Yeah, I did wonder whether the debris from the cold break needed to be filtered, or at least whether it was as important to get rid of this as the trub from the hot break.

Back