WTF is going on with FIFA ???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really can't backup any argument with a link to the Daily Mail :lol:

all the players have had a minute silence at the premier league games at the weekend and will probably do so on the day of the Spain match, Im all for supporting the poppy and what it stands for but FFS we're playing a friendly game of fitbaw here, footie is becoming a bit of a joke, they should do away with minute silences , next it will be the tea lady's wee boys hamster has died so lets have a minute silence.

I actually agree with Fifa on this and query why on earth the FA are making such a big deal about it. I completely support the armed forces and remembrance day, but do we really want FIFA (a football association) making judgement calls on what is important enough or otherwise to justify going on a football kit. What if the Libyan footy team wanted to put something on their shirt to commemorate all their "martyrs" who fought against US oppression etc. It can't be right for Fifa to start saying that our boys were justified, whereas theirs weren't. That may well be the case, but it is not for a football association to making such moral decisions.

Miles better to just say no such symbols on footy shirts.

Now that is the last time i have or will support FFA in anything..........

I should be a personal choice if the players want to or not. Not all parts of the world see a Poppy how we do, but I feel that it may have more to do with protecting advertising and commercial rights.

Personally I think it is totally absurd.

I don't really understand that more than anything because we're pretty peaceful with germany now. I doubt anybody would be offended by them wearing their equivalent. WW2 happened, it's an indisputable fact, but it's about remembering those that were lost, not taking sides...

Wearing a poppy is a personal choice i support the poppy appeal and help for heroes as our guys and girls put theirselves on the line day in day out if FIFA feel this would cause animosity between different cultures thats their choice .However if thats the case why dont the FA donate a percentage of the gate / tv rights etc to the poppy appeal ????

RobWalker said:
I don't really understand that more than anything because we're pretty peaceful with germany now. I doubt anybody would be offended by them wearing their equivalent. WW2 happened, it's an indisputable fact, but it's about remembering those that were lost, not taking sides...

I wasn't meaning that part of the world. There are areas of the world who are still offended by things that happened in medieval times let alone what has happened in those areas in the last 10 yrs, by western troops, also closer to home across the water.

I must apologise for my vagueness but I am being politically correct.

I thought the poppy was a bilatteral comemoration of the war dead, so neither political nor religious nor biased to England

I think it's a joke, it doesn't help that FIFA is run by 2 blokes that can barely contain their abhorance of the british ie blatter and platini. I don't think that people should be made to wear one but it should be down to personal choice

American in origin but originally it was the allies that used it. However it is seen by some as being a sign of the british army so some in Ireland and the middle east get a little upset. Look at wikipedia.

Its nothing to do with the Germans. They are as bemused as anyone over this storm in a tea cup (but that doesnt seem to hold back the daily mail..)
FIFA dont allow any religious/political/whatever on the strips (and yes you could strongly argue it aint political or religious)
They didn't 'ban' england from wearing it. It covers everyone. England were not the only country to make the request to wear it. (but again, that doesnt suit the daily mails agenda)

Suprised supporters are allowed to fly the St Georges Cross. Very religious and very political dating back over 700 yrs in this country.

Latest posts

Back