Wyeast London Ale III vs Lallemand Verdant yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlacat

Reaction score
I was planning a few brews with wyeast London Ale III, and was wondering if anyone has compared Lallemand's Verdant yeast alongside it.

I'm aware that this is a dry version of London Ale III (be it a mutation or not), just wondering if anyone has compared the two for performance, ester production, etc. If very similar, I might be tempted to go with the Verdant for convenience of dry yeast, ease of storage, etc.

Thanks!

Can't help with london ale, i have used verdant a few times though.It has always finished in 4 or 5 days, be prepaird for a big krausen.I like it for neipa's.

I was planning a few brews with wyeast London Ale III, and was wondering if anyone has compared Lallemand's Verdant yeast alongside it.

I'm aware that this is a dry version of London Ale III (be it a mutation or not), just wondering if anyone has compared the two for performance, ester production, etc. If very similar, I might be tempted to go with the Verdant for convenience of dry yeast, ease of storage, etc.

Thanks!
Yes, I've done a split batch with them both - taste wise I couldn't tell them apart. Lallemand the krausen stuck around more and that's about it.

Some notes here and here 👍🍻

One other thing worth mentioning;

I just bottled the other day a split batch porter fermented with MJ M36 and WY1318. I'm not at all suggesting they are the same strain of that there aren't difference, but based on a quick taste at bottling they certainly didn't seem works apart.

I'll reserve final judgement until they're ready to drink, but M36 is certainly also worth considering if you want a dry English Ale strain that actually has some character 👍🍻

Yes, I've done a split batch with them both - taste wise I couldn't tell them apart. Lallemand the krausen stuck around more and that's about it.

Some notes here and here 👍🍻

Thanks! Very interesting and helpful. My plan was to use WY1318 for a 3.5% session pale with the centennial, citra, and simcoe in the first instance, then repitch the slurry for a ca.7% IPA with chinook, citra, and simcoe. Have you repitched the Lallemand Verdant?

I'll reserve final judgement until they're ready to drink, but M36 is certainly also worth considering if you want a dry English Ale strain that actually has some character

Would be interested to hear the results of this - have no experience of the MG yeasts. WY1469 West Yorkshire is my favourite yeast for strictly 'English' styles - porter, stout, bitter and the like.

Have you repitched the Lallemand Verdant?
I have not.

Would be interested to hear the results of this - have no experience of the MG yeasts. WY1469 West Yorkshire is my favourite yeast for strictly 'English' styles - porter, stout, bitter and the like.
If you keep an eye on my brew day thread I'll more then likely post when I do my first tastings, but probably won't be for another 3-4 weeks for the Porters.

Never tried WY1469 but I hear good things about it. You should take a look at @foxbat 's brew day thread - I think he often users liquid strains like this and he recently cultured up yeast from some Fuller's 1845 which he said made a really good beer.

Back