Yeast + Frost Free Freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
A short while ago somebody said you would be ill advised to store yeast in a self defrosting freezer as it would cycle through freezing and thawing.
I disputed this!
So I used one of my auxiliary weather probes to monitor the cycle in an "under the counter" self defrosting freezer.
The probe was placed in the same tray as the yeast and monitored for just over 4 days.
The general swing was -17C to -18C with the defrost spike going up to -15C.
Clearly this would not allow the yeast to thaw!

The graph clearly shows the defrost spikes.

evanvine said:
A short while ago somebody said you would be ill advised to store yeast in a self defrosting freezer as it would cycle through freezing and thawing.

Had that person considered that these freezers keep food perfectly well for 6 months+ :lol:

evanvine said:
The general swing was -17C to -18C with the defrost spike going up to -15C.
Clearly this would not allow the yeast to thaw!

What exactly is defrosting at -15 though, for it to be a frost free freezer?

(I agree about the Yanks, they always have to overcomplicate things and invent problems that don't exist and then find a solutions for the non-existent problems! Us Brits have been brewing tasty beer for hundreds of years with no problems) :doh:

evanvine said:
Try reading line 4!!!

OK cool :D

What I could deduce then is that the yeast is protected from defrosting for some reason, whilst the freezer gets on with the job of melting ice elsewhere!?! :wha:

PS I'm not disputing your disputing :thumb:

evanvine said:
In a non frost free freezer, it's only the chilling elements that frost up, I remember mine well.
Same with a non frost free fridge, it was only the icebox that frosted.

Thanks for the explanation, you have to wonder why these myths become so popular !

:thumb:

Glycerine (a.k.a. glycerol) is a cryoprotectant that works like a cellular anti-freeze. It prevents ice crystals from forming on the inside of the cell walls. Even small cyclic fluctuations in temperature can affect a cryopreserved culture, which is why frost free freezers are preferred for cryopreservation. There are frost-free laboratory freezers, but they hold a steady temperature.

http://www.labcompare.com/10-Featured-A ... y-Freezer/

Back