Yeast lucky dip recipe inspiration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
I didn’t have a lot of idea what I wanted to brew beyond my next couple of brews so I decided to give the Brew UK yeast lucky dip a go and decide from there. For those who don’t know, they sell 5 liquid yeasts that are past their best before date for a tenner.

I got a Wyeast Bock which is ideal as a malty lager was already on my to do list, and a White Labs Belgian Sour Mix which is ideal as a Flanders Red is already on my to do list.

So far so good. I also got a Vermont Yeast. I tend to make very very average IPAs as I only use buckets and always end up with pretty muted hop flavour. I could definitely do an IPA, it’s always good to have one available, but wonder if anyone has done anything a bit more unusual with Vermont or a similar yeast?

Finally I got 2 strains of Kveik, Hornindal and Opshaug. I could of course read the 2k posts on the Kveik thread but can anyone give me a rough idea, can you brew anything with these yeasts? Is there anything they are particularly good or bad for?

Please help inspire me!

I think vermont yeast was originally from an an English brewery, So maybe a bitter/porter/stout/mild?

Edit - just did a quick google and it seems to confirm this?

Last edited:
I use Vermont yeast for all my ales. You're lucky to get it in a lucky dip. Which one is it?

I use Vermont yeast for all my ales. You're lucky to get it in a lucky dip. Which one is it?
It’s the yeast bay one. It expired in April I think, but I used it a couple of years back and remember it going off super quickly for a few generations so I’m sure with a smallish starter it’ll be fine. I quite fancy a fairly plain golden ale type so maybe I’ll try that and just let the yeast give what character it gives.

It’s the first time I’ve done the lucky dip and I feel like I got really lucky!

It’s the yeast bay one. It expired in April I think, but I used it a couple of years back and remember it going off super quickly for a few generations so I’m sure with a smallish starter it’ll be fine. I quite fancy a fairly plain golden ale type so maybe I’ll try that and just let the yeast give what character it gives.

It’s the first time I’ve done the lucky dip and I feel like I got really lucky!
I'd do a small vitality starter to bring it up to 100bn cells or so then keep it in a jar in the fridge until needed.

Anything pale and hoppy is a perfect match for the Vermont strain. APAs, Aussie/NZ pales, English pales, English IPA, the soft mouthfeel that this strain delivers works great in them all.

You got lucky with this selection!

Back