Kveik Maris otter recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisriley83

Reaction score
Hi, I’m still fairly new to brewing and have brewed a lot of pale ales and ipa’s mainly using Maris otter as a base malt and I was wondering if anyone on here knows of a good recipe using Maris otter and a Kveik yeast for when the days get hotter and temperature control during fermentation gets trickier I generally brew hoppy pale ales and make around 23-25 litres, thanks in advance for your help 🍻

You can try a punk ipa clone, I don't know the hop schedule from the top of my head.

Quick reply is I couldn't get there.

I have a hoppy IPA that I like which runs at 19c on the winter.

Until last year I was of the opinion this was only a few days in August, so I managed it with stock control. That still holds true in the UK.

Last year tried a kveik. Only once.

I have now bought a simple coil that I will connect to the inkbird.

Any pale ale recipie will work with kveik but if planning on using Voss just be aware that at high temps it throws off orange flavours. Some like it I don’t. To me it’s a musty orange and is always the overriding flavour.
Horndial might be better choice for hoppy pales as it’s a bit cleaner but again at high temps has a lot of esters I’ve never used it but I will in the summer to see what it’s like.

John,

What is a good temp for hordial. Perhaps I was not running it hot enough?
I haven’t used it yet but was on buying yeast last night from crossmyloof and was reading about it as I really dislike voss.
I have temp control but like to do a quick turnaround beer in the summer so will give it a go.
Here’s what cml say about it.
FE7EE25C-657A-419D-B8A9-95759A1369BC.png

Do not be worried about using Kveik Voss, I use it a lot and it does throw a orangey flavour at the higher end. Just use it wisely as the orangey flavour will add to any fruity IPA.
I have used it in pales at lower temps lower 20's and the orangey taste is not there or is masked by the hops if it is
It is ideal in the heat of summer if you do not have full temp control it will produce good Ipa's/Pales.
Do not use it in Ales/Bitters as they have more specific yeasts that should be more to style so it is not a miracle yeast but does a good job in the right sector
Use your MO and get some of the hop mixes from CML such as Punked, Jaipur etc and you will get a nice IPA.
Ps if you are loading loads of hops in try whirlpooling to cut down the IBU content if you are not keen of too much bitterness obviously some brewers like major bitterness so it is a personal thing

Recently using Midland & four (from cml) which is Nottingham & so4 and that's is a stunning combo @19c

Bought a simple coil last year, to wire up to the fridge. Think my kveik days might be over.

Got to say even though I am a Kveik fan nothing better than a full ferment fridge as it means you can brew whenever

Yes I use nutrient every time with Kveik, it is a monster so use in according recipes

Back