yeast temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley

Reaction score
Hi
Im new to this forum, soo hello also im very new to brewing ive only ever brewed from kits and so far ive had 2 great beers and one stinker. Anyway down to my question ive just put a new brew on a woodfordes admiral reserve and i made a little mistake i put my yeast in when it was a little too warm 28°c to be precise will this ruin the beer? Or is there something i can do to rectify it?
Many thanks

Hi
Im new to this forum, soo hello also im very new to brewing ive only ever brewed from kits and so far ive had 2 great beers and one stinker. Anyway down to my question ive just put a new brew on a woodfordes admiral reserve and i made a little mistake i put my yeast in when it was a little too warm 28°c to be precise will this ruin the beer? Or is there something i can do to rectify it?
Many thanks
I should think that by the time the yeast got properly going the wort tempature would have dropped to an acceptable level 18/20 degrees C so as long as you don't keep it higher it shouldn't pose too much a problem

Hi
Many thanks

I've pitched yeast at that temp

+1 arkwright

Yeast gives off more esters when fermented over 21 in general, but it does depend on the yeast

Yeast will produce most esters and off flavours within the first 72 hours after pitching so get the temp down as quick as you can as it will be in its growing stage and you should be okay.

Thanks guys im currently trying to get the temp down its around 22 now and only about 2 hours in so should be ok. Thanks for the info

How much of an difference does it make? Ive only brewed in winter up to now but i can imagine in summer its hard to get the temp below 20

How much of an difference does it make? Ive only brewed in winter up to now but i can imagine in summer its hard to get the temp below 20

It depends on the strain, if in summer you were getting 22 its okay, some strains such as US05 are quite tolerant of this without releasing anything noticable..

But some styles really suit hot temps, you can brew a Saison (Belgian farmhouse style beer) with saison yeast which thrives on temps above 24-30 to really bring out the peppery spicey and funky flavours suited to that style..

Yeast you get with kits.. I don't know to be honest because you do not tend to know the strain.. It is one of the areas where you can upgrade a kit by changing the yeast for a decent known strain.

Ive never even thought of upgrading the kit at all that could be an idea. Eventually id like to stop using kits but this is only my 4th beer upto now so ill try tweeking it first i think

Yeah if you need to ferment at a hotter temperature than the kit recommends use a different yeast. Mangrove Jacks Workhorse yeast is one with a high temperature tolerance 20-32 degrees C. You can brew all summer with it.

Latest posts

Back