You sexy thing!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to brew the peanut butter and chocolate stout from MM this weekend.
I wondered if others have and how it went. One of the ingredients is molasses, I was planning on using black treacle, it calls for 200g which seems a lot, so was planning on maybe using 100g.

Also how do you roast cocoa nibs?

Any thoughts or advice.

Thanks

Yeah that probably is about right, depending on the recipe. Otherwise I would keep the sulphate low, high chloride (about 200ppm), and calcium around 150ppm.

You probably know this already, but I've read that cocoa nibs are best added during sparging to get the smooth taste without a burnt note.

@Crystal_Ball i read on another thread that you have brewed this, how did it turn out? Thanks
Only just seen this post..... This is all probably too late but here goes anyway.
At the time i was living a hard water area and didnt treat the water. Alkalinity was about 230, Calcium 140, Chloride 52 and Sulphate 85.
I toasted the cocoa nibs in the oven for 10 minutes. They were still a little soft, whether this is how they should be or not i dont know. They were added at 10 minutes and may as well use the whole pack rather than leaving some. The molasses i mixed with hot water before adding to the wort. I brewed this on my GF as the first brew. The pump towards the end was very slow as expected really.
I had a SG of 1.092 which was higher than expected and finished at 1.036.
I loved the end result of the beer. Im still drinking it now from the keg nearly a year later! It has lost some of the flavours as expected, but still very drinable!

Thanks for the reply, it's not too late. I had to push back the brew day to next weekend for family reasons so still thinking about it.

So did you use 200g molasses, and it didn't overpower it? And did you use all the lactose and it wasn't too sweet?

Ill be brewing it on my brewzilla so fingers crossed I get similar results to you.

Thanks for the reply, it's not too late. I had to push back the brew day to next weekend for family reasons so still thinking about it.

So did you use 200g molasses, and it didn't overpower it? And did you use all the lactose and it wasn't too sweet?

Ill be brewing it on my brewzilla so fingers crossed I get similar results to you.

Yes went with the 200g of molasses which i got from Holland and Barrett and i found that it was fine. Again followed recipe and used all the lactose. Yes it is sweet but inevitable as its being used. As well as being used for the style it probably balances out some of the bitterness.

Back