youngs wine yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Regular.
Reaction score
I used youngs wine yeast with my elderflower wine, it says on the packet 7g for 1 gallon. But i have nearly 2 gallons. I did read somewhere on this forum that it wouldnt matter because the first thing yeast does is multiply. can someone confirm this or will i have to add another 7g?

My next question is at what temperature does wine yeast stop fermenting? (high temp) at the moment due to the unusualy hot weather we are having im currently storing them in a room which is 24/25 degrees C. Is this too hot? only put the sugar and yeast in yesterday so not much happening at the moment which im not worried about, but i am worried about the temperature. I mixed the sugar and yeast in a fermentation bucket and let it settle for 30 mins. Then stired it back up again to make sure everything was disolved. Then Split the mixture evenly into 3 DJs.

Regards
John

Wine yeast sachets are usually sufficient for one fermentation of 5 gallons, or you can split them and do two singles.

Wine yeasts don't stop fermenting at higher temperatures, they go absolutely crazy. It has got to be much hotter than this to kill them. It does stress them though and they do make mistakes, so higher temperatures can result in some undesirably funny flavours.

25°C is probably right at the top end of the acceptable range.

I moved them into the garage where its still about a constant 19/20 degrees C. Didnt want to ruin the hard work thats gone into it already. Was creeping up to 24.5 this afternoon which i thought was a bit too high.

Anyone ever had a bad batch of yeast delivered? I bought the Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound from a seller on eBay and setup two brews (one fresh Ribena & one Lowciz Syrup).

After a week the gravity had not changed at all. 1 bubble every 10 seconds or so and pretty much no froth on top at all. I pitched an extra half teaspoon of the compound but no luck. I got a jug of warm sugared water and popped some yeast in there - again nothing after half an hour.

I stuck two kit brews on yesterday with their own yeast and right next to the failed brews and they are both going mental - so there's nothing environmental I think.

Bit annoyed really but I should have just put the one brew on I suppose or tested it beforehand. Shall I rescue by buying some more yeast or do we think the thing is tainted now and won't taste the nicest anyway?

Back