Youngs Yeast Alchol tol' limit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anybody know the alchol tolerance limit of Youngs Super wine yeast and dried active yeast. As I'm having difficult restarting tea and broadbean wines after first racking.

Didn't bother with s.g at start of these, curretnly 1015 for tea/gorse, and both broadbean are at 1040, 990 I want. Added actived yeast solution to restart, not having much joy. All were visually active before racking. Wondering if alcohol limit for yeat has been reached.

Any ideas?

I guess it depends on the OG, if it was high then the yeast could have reached their limit.have you dumped the lees? if not try a small bit of must in some of the lees to see if it gets going and add to the bulk.
or, I cannot remember the name of the super alc tolerant yeast (had a few pints tonight), but maybe try pitching some of that

Nothing left, so had too add some citric and nutrient see if that works.

I think that the dried active yeast has reached limit, read up on youngs site and its suitable for low alc', making a starter from super yeast compound that has a higher alc' tolerance.

Didn't have glassess on, s.g 1004 for Gorse & Tea wine (1.25kg). Tastes ok and clearing would like it a little bit more out of it. The broadbean is s.g 1015, one dj keeps clearing. Both started with 1.4kg of sugar one 100ml grape concentrate and 120ml in the other, no s.g taken at start. Still too sweet.

Using tables, both broadbean around 14.18% and the gorse & tea at 13.52%, think I might have trouble getting these to restart using the Yeast I have.

I'm making another starter, but would like to know if anyone can recommend a high tolerance wine yeast ( not the 23% ones) that you've found to be reliable to around 18% alchohol content.

Back