Your Favourite Apps ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
I had a pay-as-you-go mobile phone which suited me just fine, I could send text messages, talk to people occasionally and it had an adequate camera. I also had a fleece jumper with a left breast pocket. My wife washed them both.

She had recently bought herself an iPhone so I used her old phone for a while but it was already fairly knackered and has since taken to switching itself off at random.

For my birthday she gave me a free smartphone and signed me up to a contract :hmm:

It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace and I'm still trying to suss out how it works and what it does, but what are all these Apps things?

I like the one where I can point my phone at the night sky and it tells me the planets and star constellations, the maps etc. might come in useful and I've just downloaded BrewR, but what are your ‘must have’ Apps?

Hotmail
Bank of scotland
Tapatalk
O2
National rail
Asda
eBay
Amazon
Gum tree
Google
YouTube
Tesco

And so many more, I use an I phone but I assume yours will be much the same but I do everything from my I phone it's actually like my P.A. There's an app for everything on the App Store

I got a phone that phones.......... :party: :party:

can never find it when I want it...

Amazon Kindle
BBC news
Couch-to-5k
HotUKDeals
eBay
My Fitness Pal
And most importantly....

Shazam. Allows you to fix that earworm when you hear some music and you have no idea what it's called.

All them plus:

National Lottery (we live in hope)
SkyView (the stars and satellites one)
Sky Sports News Footie (the easy way to see what's what)
Met Office (best weather app)

and BeerSmith Lite. Not cheap but the brewday timers and recipe cloud searching are ace. :thumb:

PocketCasts (podcast app). Great for Brewing Network shows and whatever else you're into!

TfL Bus Tracker
TubeChaser

just recently got WifiAnalyzer - which helps link to Wifi hotspots, to reduce the cost of data usage over mobile network, and also has wizzy graphs to get an idea of the best location to pick up wifi, or for positioning the router.

was thinking of getting one that tracks flights in real time, with an option that it picks up where you are and can identify which flight you can see in the sky going past at that point.

Viber is good if you want 'free' texts to other users, if you're abroad, without roaming mobile access but with Wifi access.

Angry Birds - obviously
Daily Free Soduko
Big Bang Whip (the one without the annoying adversts/spam/downloads etc)

and of course Facebook and Twitter apps.

also useful are Crossword solver, and Scrabble helper.

Cant get through the working day without my phone... This forum keeps me sane!

My top apps are:

Tapatalk (the only way i access this great forum)
ASDA
Sky +
Torch
Youtube
Zen Pinball HD
Ebay
Paypal
Spirit Level

You can go absolutely nuts mate, there are millions of the beggars lol.

Do you have a decent internet allowance? If so definitely get google music, it allows you to upload up to 20,000 songs to the google server and you can access them anywhere you have an internet connection (3G, wifi, etc) from any device that you can sign into your google account (Phone via Play Music, anything else via the browser).

So, I would recommend....

Play Music
WhatsApp (Allows you to send picture messages, videos and SMS for free by using your internet allowance/wifi)
Flashlight (A simple flashlight app that has a widget button to switch it on and off without opening the app)
Shazam (already mentioned)
Netflix (If you have an account, if not... and you like movies... it's maybe something to look at)
eBay
Facebook
Dropbox (Free online storage, automatically uploads your pics online so that you can access them from anywhere)
IMDB
Viber (Similar to WhatsApp, allows calls too)
ES File Explorer (File browser, better than the stock one)
Cartoon Camera (Fun little camera app)
SpeedTest.net (Checks your internet speed)
SoundHound (Similar to Shazam, different features)

Games:

Robo Defense
Angry Birds
Cut the Rope
Shoot U!
Unblock Me

Converter Infinity - converts units

BJCPStyles - handy source of beer style information

Drop box - a great way to move and share large files

EleMints - a nice periodic table with more information than you are likely to ever need to know about the various elements

IMDb - Internet Movie Database

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - great for those of us who are spelling impaired. I really like the way it starts looking for words as you type them in. This often helps me find the word I am looking for, assuming I am not too far off.

iBooks and Zinio - good for reading digital periodicals (e.g. Beers of the World, DRAFT Magazine etc.)

FlashLight - I don't know how many times I've used this app. It is nice to have a flashlight with you when you need it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I had already got quite a few of those pre-loaded but have downloaded a few more, and this is my first post using tapatalk.

Keep the ideas coming, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I have a few of the above ones, and there's a couple of nice ideas in there as well.

I also use
National Rail
Rightmove - but clearly only if you are looking to move.. :whistle:

EDIT: Just saw National Rail in a post above.. not much new at all from me then I'm afraid

Back