Your views on how the Tories have handled Coronavirus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit like buying a car in case you pass your test, and are we just taking Germanys word they are doing this many tests, i have not seen any evidence of this on the news and i am sure our press would soon show us

To be honest it makes no odds if the figures are true or not Cheshire Cat said the government won't admit their errors i posted it as to show this not to be the case.

Whitty the government’s chief medical officer has conceded that Germany “got ahead” in testing people for Covid-19 and said the UK needed to learn from that.

Gove admitted he had only read the report last week.

Chippy i think we will never know the true facts so its best not to speculate athumb..

The governments shortcomings will come back and bite them on the **** when this is all over that is for sure i can understand why they didn't spend millions on PPE just in case something happened the problem for them is it did and families of people who have lost lives because of this decision will never forgive them for that.

The governments shortcomings will come back and bite them on the a**e when this is all over that is for sure i can understand why they didn't spend millions on PPE just in case something happened the problem for them is it did and families of people who have lost lives because of this decision will never forgive them for that.

No doubt there will be an inquiry but how much of the truth will we discover! At the moment the mantra is "we follow the science/experts" but surely it was experts who organised and analyzed the Cygnet exercise but the tory government would have made any decision on how to respond to the results so who decided not to act on it. Inquiries are notorious for protecting the establishment, think Blairs weapons of mass destruction and Hillsborough as 2 examples. If the PPE had been stockpiled it would have been a one off cost with anything that has a use by date being used and replenished as it was used as this equipment is used day to day. There will be fall guys but I can't see any ministers being blamed. The lady in the piers Morgan interview just replied to most of the questions with the we followed the science answer, the buck passing has already started.

They are not admitting their errors they are moving the blame for doing what Germany and NZ to their advisers. Totally shameful but not surprising.

Can we stick to facts not speculation.
But Chippy this is a homebrew forum, and this is the snug. Isn't it a place for 'pub' banter and chat? I can't understand why you insist that people only state 'fact' (whatever that is - lies, damned lies and statistics) in this thread and don't allow people to freely express opinions as long as they don't breach forum rules? Sorry mate, you do a great job, but why have you got a bee in your bonnet about this thread?

But Chippy this is a homebrew forum, and this is the snug. Isn't it a place for 'pub' banter and chat? I can't understand why you insist that people only state 'fact' (whatever that is - lies, damned lies and statistics) in this thread and don't allow people to freely express opinions as long as they don't breach forum rules? Sorry mate, you do a great job, but why have you got a bee in your bonnet about this thread?

I was referring to this random post earlier not the thread in general?

I think if they got money from the tax dodgers there's plenty for both

So easy to critisise after the fact. If the current government is to be held responsible then so should the opposition. They could have been lobbying for action to be taken regarding stockpiling of PPE after the Cygnet exercise, instead they were more interested in defying the vote of the British people and keeping them locked into the EU and nationalising industries which would need to be shored up by the British tax payer.

defying the vote of the British people and keeping them locked into the EU and nationalising industries which would need to be shored up by the British tax payer.

But it's ok to nationalise British industries and shore them up by the British tax payer during the pandemic? Shouldn't they just be left to fail so we dont have to pay for them?

"England’s trains have effectively been nationalised, at least temporarily, after the government suspended rail franchise agreements to avoid train companies collapsing because of the coronavirus."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/covid-19-government-suspends-rail-franchise-agreements
A majority of the British population say the transition period should be extended because of the pandemic. However the conservatives have repeatedly said they wont extend it. Are the conservatives not defying the British people?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-period-extension-when-eu-poll-a9415701.html

Last edited:
But it's ok to nationalise British industries and shore them up by the British tax payer during the pandemic? Shouldn't they just be left to fail so we dont have to pay for them?

"England’s trains have effectively been nationalised, at least temporarily, after the government suspended rail franchise agreements to avoid train companies collapsing because of the coronavirus."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/covid-19-government-suspends-rail-franchise-agreements
Its either support the industries using tax payers (borrowed) money during the pandemic
or support the unemployed using tax payers (borrowed) money. Which ever is the cheapest way out of it.

Has Englands trains never been nationalised? From what I have read the government pays more money into the rail system than it did when it was British Rail.

Trains i think they are the last thing on the British publics minds at the moment, wouldn't bother most folks if they never run again, rip the tracks up turn them into roads with under tarmac chargers for ev cars and lorrys

Its either support the industries using tax payers (borrowed) money during the pandemic
or support the unemployed using tax payers (borrowed) money. Which ever is the cheapest way out of it.

We're doing both and neither of them will be cheap

Has Englands trains never been nationalised? From what I have read the government pays more money into the rail system than it did when it was British Rail.

Yes they have been nationalised previously.

Trains i think they are the last thing on the British publics minds at the moment, wouldn't bother most folks if they never run again, rip the tracks up turn them into roads with under tarmac chargers for ev cars and lorrys

I think a lot of peope have seen the potential and benefits of working from home. After the pandemic I think how many people work will change forever

We're doing both and neither of them will be cheap

Yes they have been nationalised previously.
I think trying to keep businesses afloat and therefore sustaining jobs would be cheaper, dependent on how long the lock down lasts. The economies are all rooted now anyhow.

They were nationalised in 1947 or there abouts and were losing so much money handed back to commercial enterprise during Majors reign. They just didn't get it right and the successive governments have still been paying in more money ever since.

Latest posts

Back